Video tutorials good for 3d newbies

Video tutorials good for 3d newbies

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on whether or not Andrew's video tutorials are good for 3d newbies (and I MEAN newbie), or are they more Cheetah specific for people who already have some 3d background?
I'm a fast learner but find that if I don't have the basics understood, I'm jus beating my head against a wall :(
Erin

I can't say anything about the Cheetah tutorials, but if you're completely new to 3D, I would definitely recommend this.

The site is full of short (2-5 minute) videos that are really well done and are super helpful in getting a grasp on 3D. And they aren't specific to any application, just 3D in general. And the best part: they're free :tongue:.

Good Luck!

Matthew

Thanks Matthew.
I have come across those before and forgot about them.
I'll take a better look at them.

Hi Erin,
If you're asking will the C3D training material teach you 3D and C3D from the ground up then I'd have to say no. The training material covers an introduction to C3D version 5.x. I cover whats behind all the icons at the top/bottom of a default C3D document window (e.g. transform, modes, parametric objects, splines, scene objects...). Hopefully, through watching the training material you'll get an understanding of C3D and by default start to pick up the language and etiquette of 3D in general.
I love C3D/ 3D hopefully that comes across in the training. Basically, I demo how C3D tools work and at the end go through some simple tutorials to illustrate the point.
What's your background Erin, what common ground do we share?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for responding. I think that the videos would help me out regardless because I would probably stumble less throughout my learning curve.
I don't really know what common ground we share other than I really enjoy seeing what can be done through 3d software. It amazes me!

I sudied graphic design in college (more than a few years ago). I sit at a desk all day :frown: but have a part time interior decorating business on the side (hoping to go full time). My goal was to find a software that I could custom create furniture and accessories to use in my 'interiors' program so I wouldn't be restricted with just using what the program had or what I found on line (there's lots out there but there's always something about them that just didn't work--the way the material was applied, proportion etc)
My problem is that when I start getting into something, I have to know everything, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just frustrating and time consuming sometimes. I want to learn how to create things and be accurate with the sizing when I scale and build. For example, inserting points 6" in from an edge etc. I don't know how you guys do it and was hoping that the videos would clear that up for me.I think if I got the hang of 3d modelling, the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Whew! Sorry you asked?;)

Good luck

:smile: There we are, common ground I studied product design at uni and did my time as a graphic designer.
So you like to know the nitty-gritty and aren't afraid to roll your sleeves up and have a go. Well I think the training could be helpful to you. There's nothing quite like watching someone else illustrate a point and explain what they are doing. As for inserting points 6" in, as long as you understand Cheetah works in units which can be interpreted as any unit of measurement (1 Cheetah unit = 1 inch, ft, metre, kilometre) then you're well in your way.

Cheetah3D could really be a big help to your interior business and I think your willingness to try and ask questions can only pay dividens. As for sitting at a desk all day, I've been drawing cartoon dogs in baths all day so don't worry.:tongue:

I hope this helps.

Andrew:smile:

Attachments

• doodle.jpg
    doodle.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,161
Well that's more common ground than I would have guessed.
Thanks for your support Andrew and yes, I totally get that the units in Cheetah can be whatever I choose (yay for me, I actually grasped something!!!:icon_thumbup: )
I know little to none about Cheetah but I still have my totally black rendering of a reflective material to look at and remind me of what I HAVE learned ;)
I just have to be more patient and try not to get too far ahead of myself. (old dog, new trick-hmmmmm, I'll see what I can do)

Erin

P.S.
Your cartoons made me smile :smile:

Well that's more common ground than I would have guessed.
Thanks for your support Andrew and yes, I totally get that the units in Cheetah can be whatever I choose (yay for me, I actually grasped something!!!:icon_thumbup: )
I know little to none about Cheetah but I still have my totally black rendering of a reflective material to look at and remind me of what I HAVE learned ;)
I just have to be more patient and try not to get too far ahead of myself. (old dog, new trick-hmmmmm, I'll see what I can do)

Erin

P.S.
Your cartoons made me smile :smile:
Good to start with some common ground and work from there. Well Erin if you got the units thing I really do think the trains right up your street. And if it seems a bit daunting at times then get that black render out and have a chuckle. And remember the forum is THE place for all your questions. So welcome and enjoy the ride!:smile:

Now back to drawing crazy pictures.

Andrew:smile:

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,133
I'm an absolute beginner. I started with the video tutorials from v4 and v5. I think they're great and have helped me heaps. I'm just getting a bit stuck with lighting and reflections and trying to muddle my way through using the forum and trial and error (mostly error)

Thanks for your input DH. I'm slow at getting to the tutorials (life's getting in the way at the moment), but I'm looking forward to getting at them. I'm really anxious to get modeling.

I'm an absolute beginner. I started with the video tutorials from v4 and v5. I think they're great and have helped me heaps. I'm just getting a bit stuck with lighting and reflections and trying to muddle my way through using the forum and trial and error (mostly error)

Hi Digital Hero,
Thanks for the positive feedback. So what's happening with lighting and reflections? Let's see if we can help.

Andrew

@Erin

Hi I bought the tutorials and they are excellent for beginners. Very good with animation. I'm still going through them.

Hyperion

Hi Hyperion,

Thanks for replying. I'm starting into them now and find myself saying "Ah, so THAT'S how you do it' alot.
I'm sure I'll be going through them a number of times because you tend to lose what you don't use all the time:( .
But it sure is nice to know that they're there to refer to later.

Thanks again to Andrew!

Erin

Hi Hyperion,

Thanks for replying. I'm starting into them now and find myself saying "Ah, so THAT'S how you do it' alot.
I'm sure I'll be going through them a number of times because you tend to lose what you don't use all the time:( .
But it sure is nice to know that they're there to refer to later.

Thanks again to Andrew!

Erin

No Problemo Erin glad to hear you're getting along with Cheetah3D and have found the tutorials helpful.

Andrew :)

Back