Newbie modeling a brain...

Newbie modeling a brain...

I just discovered Cheetah3D and the world of 3D-modeling on MacOSX. I have been playing around with the software for a week now but still have not decided if I should buy it. The thing is I would like to make a 3D-model of a brain to use in presentations at work (medical science). Maybe the approach I took is totally wrong for this type of software but here it goes:

I have imported about 20 Illustrator SVG files copied from a brain atlas. The individual splines outline the shape of the brain at different cross-sections going front to back. I have aligned these perfectly so that they form an anatomically correct "tube" of loops outlining the form of the brain. This is where I am stuck. I have extruded each spline slightly, making it into an editable polygon object. That produces what looks like a neatly sliced up brain but that's not what I want :confused: . I have found no way of "merging" each individual brain slice into a full 3d model of the brain. Welding or bridgeing gives really weird results, probably since the individual slices are not symmetrical. I guess what I am trying to do is taking 2d-slices of a brain and combine them into one 3d object. Is that even possible??

Perhaps I would be better off just starting from basic geometrical shapes and model from that? It just looks so perfect with all the splines or slices aligned - the only thing missing are lines connecting them into one object!

Thankful for any input on this!

Cheers!

Hi Damatri.
I´m on that kind of mesh too. But I would prefer a boxmodelling. If you like send me your work-in-progress so far, and I will see what I can do for you.
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for offering to help! I actually bought the software now so I can save my files. Could you pm me your email or should I just post the .jas files here? And by the way, what exactly is boxmodelling? As I said I am totally new to this...

Best regards and thanks again!

Hi again.
Here´s something simply explaining a boxmodeling approach. Just says: start with a box/cube:)
Frank´sDog275.gif

with kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Thank you Frank! That was a very straight forward explanation. Even for a beginner like me! :)

I sent you the .jas-file with my "sliced" brain model BTW.

Best,

Damitri

Back