UV Editor/Paint Question

UV Editor/Paint Question

Certain objects when unwrapped have seams that extend beyond the Paint surface area in the UV Editor. (pink in the graphic below) When this occurs I use the Transform tool to shuffle the unwrapped object pieces into the effective painting area before I paint, or experience the brush smearing or not painting at all. Is moving the unwrapped pieces in and out of the Paint area to paint the proper procedure for this situation or am I missing a step some where?

I would also like to comment that the new UV Editor/Paint tool is powerful enough that it could be a stand alone software program sold separately. Cheetah 3D Paint? Still amazed with all the value that Cheetah 3D offers, and it’s only going to get better. Really great, rock solid product. Very well done.

Attachments

• UV Editor.png
    UV Editor.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 701
Hi Irev,

Make sure you put some seams in your object. Check also the tutorial in the help section of the Program. Your unwrapped object should look like this. The green lines are the seams in the cube.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 613
Hi irev,
first of all thanks for your nice words.
The problem you mentioned is caused my a OpenGL hardware limitation. Since I need a very fast texture upload to the graphics card when editing the texture I disable texture filtering and use "rectangular textures". The problem is that these current OpenGL hardware simply can't tile this texture type.

If you leave the edit mode texture filtering will be turned on for that texture and the texture should look like you would expect it.

To avoid that problem always try to get all the UV coordiantes within the "grey rect" of the UV editor. So no tiling is needed.

By,
Martin

P.S. Always try to set the seams manually. As you can see on peers example. For some jobs humanes are still better than computers. :rolleyes:

P.P.S I already thought about making a small separate painting app. Which totally works in floating point format. Some sort of cheap HDRI editor/painter. But I don't have the time. :(

You know, a seperate 3D paint program would be cool. A program optimized to do little else, just painting, texture mapping, and UV coordinates. You could sell it seperately, and could be a great tool for people who choose to use other 3D modeling programs that are not as gifted as Cheetah 3D.

Back