Unity is FREE

I recently created a FPS/3rd Person Platformer for the uDevGames contest, using Cheetah3D and Unity. The workflow is pretty seamless. The game was awful, but that's because I wasn't/am not very good at 3D art and scripting.

I am working on a racing game at the moment, using(once again) Unity and Cheetah.

So in my experience The only thing that will get in your way as far as game-making with Unity and Cheetah is yourself. And possibly C3D's animation tools, which I'm hoping will get upgraded in v5.x. ;)

Cool. As long as the game is fun, the graphics are second in my opinion (take classic arcade games like Donkey Kong for example). I'd like to make an open world (or open map depending on size limitations) game to fend off enemies and explore the forests, plains and a town while having access to a flying craft and driving vehicle to board at will, but I'll probably start with a simple FPS or driving game.

EDIT: Is the below information accurate? Thanks.
Unity 2.6 Requirements:
- Mac OS X 10.3 or later
- Radeon or Geforce MX GFX card with at least 32 MB VRAM.
- 500MHz recommended.
- Games run on Rage 128 GFX cards depending on the scene complexity.
- Works with most 3D modelling apps, and imports almost any media file-format.

-------------
I agree that the Cheetah3D animation tools could use more focus and more options (copy/paste keyframes, duplicate skeletons with poses for starters hopefully). Particles also hopefully very soon.

Last edited:
The Unreal Editor was always my favorite. I did a few levels for Unreal years back. It was interesting, in that everything started out solid and you "carved out" from there. This was probably one of the strangest things about C3D for me, at first, where everything starts out as flat or "hollow," and there is never a solid.

and what would be the best way to experiment UDK on Mac?

isnt the bootcamp the more adequate? or are there any advantages on the parallels/fusion sistems besides not turning of the computer?

The only advantage to using a virtualized method is to be able to drag files back and forth between the Mac OS and some other OS. I can't see any other real advantage over Bootcamp.

Well, it looks like we will never see the nevercenter game engine. Apparently it was developed for "internal use," meaning nevercenter must now be a game studio. Camera Bag was just the beginning.... I can totally see them becoming a casual games studio.

I think most Unity users earlier or later switch to the Pro or iPhone versions. So I wouldn't worry that they lose too much money.:wink:

Its also about getting the unity webplayer plugin installed on as many computers as possible, so the content is more widely accepted. More developers= more unity content= more webplayer plugin installs = more developers..

AC

It's not so much that most users upgrade to Pro or iPhone -- it's that the amount of money they get from indie licenses is probably insignificant, while the potential to attract vastly more customers with a free product is huge, and finally Unreal is now free, making it very hard for any tool which has any non-free "cost of entry".

The free release has obviously been very popular (except with folks who just paid for it) -- their ftp servers have been slammed for days. (I couldn't download the Windows version all yesterday.)

I also suspect that Unity 3.0 is not far off, and when it ships they'll most likely change their product line a bit to monetize more of the people who got the free version. E.g. there might be a $200 tier that offers a few well-chosen features to indie developers (e.g. realtime shadows).

It's a dangerous game though -- Unity has no big back-end right now (unlike Unreal, et al, which either get large royalties or large up-front payments).

Its also about getting the unity webplayer plugin installed on as many computers as possible

Very good point. Even better would be if they fixed the Mac OS X plugin so it works in Safari in 64-bit mode.

IMO Cheetah is THE modeller to go hand in hand with Unity.

Nice sentiment -- and it certainly makes a nice partner for indie -- but Maya and Max seem to dominate.

Having tested them all, Maya is THE modeler for Unity. Modeling is faster in maya 2010, and it has very powerful animation tools. All Maya content comes into Unity perfectly.

I would rate the unity mac modelers like this:

#1) Maya:

Pros: supported perfectly by Unity, and is cross-platform and does modeling, baking, and animation in one package. If someone on your team knows Mel, the possibilities are endless. No export to unity required.

Cons: Very expensive. Many of the plugins available do not work on the mac version.

Summary: Simply the best option if you can afford it. Yes, Autodesk is evil.

#2) Modo:

Pros: Modo is a very powerful modeler, with fast baking, including very good mesh-to-mesh normal map baking.

Cons: Costs $1K USD, has no character animation, and requires fbx export. Also has some issues with multiple UV sets when the scene uses multiple materials. Requires the team to use another package such as blender, cinema 4D, or Maya for character animation.

Summary: Excellent modeler that gets very fast with practice. With sticky keys, the workplane, the toolpipe and some practice, modo becomes more and more comfortable. The only down sides are the UV set bug, and lack of character animation, and by modo 501, it is likely that both of these issues will be long gone. Modo has stated they are interested in Unity, and have contacts there.

#3) Cinema 4D

Pros: All-in-one modeling and animation with a simple interface. Cross-platform. Lots of plugins.

Cons: Modeling in C4D is slow, and has strange behaviors like creating orphaned verts, which can cause real problems in games engines. I would not want to model in C4D. Some animations must be baked before they can be brought into Unity. There are frequent reports of missing polys, broken material asignments, and the C4D-to-Unity pipeline is just not as clean as it should be. Expensive for something that has Unity pipeline issues.

Summary: I am just not terribly impressed with this app. It's just so-so.

#4) Cheetah3D

Pros: Martin. Flawless Unity Support. Very affordable. Very minimal, native interface that is great for working on a notebook. Is multi-document like most other mac apps. Is under active development. Has basic modeling and character animation.

Cons: Primitive animation system that is still in it's infancy. Strange behaviors, some taken from Cinema 4D (orphaned verts), some from who knows where(deleting a vertex from the middle of an edge deletes the vertex, edge, and adjacent faces). Slow modeling workflow, without any selection tricks like maya 2010, modo, and silo have. Tedious baking that requires combining all objects in the scene because baking is per-object. Can't unwrap multiple meshes at once. Tools do not remain "live" while you tweak the parameters like in modo and maya. Doesn't support normal maps for baking or even displaying in the viewport, or even rendering. No mesh-to-mesh baking of any kind. No vertex painting or baking. I use vertex alpha and color all the time, even for the next gen consoles.

Summary: I like cheetah, and it has a lot of potential, but it's still just a renderer and exporter for me.

#5) Silo

Pros: Simply the fastest modeler ever. Light-weight. Like cheetah, it loads in one second from an SSD. Silo doesn't require jumping back and forth between tools constantly. I can insert edge loops and even slice up a mesh without ever leaving the transform tool. When you know the hot keys, you are flying. Modeling in silo just feels so natural and intelligent. If the developers had added FBX or Collada, better scene management, support for PSD textures and alpha channels, it would be a nice compliment to Unity.

Cons: Has the most basic materials system of any modeler I have ever seen. No FBX or Collada. No multiple UV sets. No character animation. Major display issues in snow leopard. Silo appears to be EOL, and nevercenter is now making iphone games, and silly photo-filter apps.

Summary: Silo was an app that seemed to have a bright future. The developers then lost interest and hired a PR person to poorly deal with the frustrated user community, and get as many sales as possible before retiring the app.

#6) Blender:

Pros: It's free, and has a thriving community. Modeling and character animation. 64-bit mac version.

Cons: Not so bad for noobs, but its hard for pros to adjust to all the blender weirdness. 2.5 is not finalized, and still no bmesh. Textures and diffuse color do not come into unity, making multiple materials on a single mesh a real problem. Textures must be manually assigned in the editor.

Summary: blender has lots of potential, and 2.5 is a huge improvement. I'll be watching blender more closely, but until texture assignments come across, it isn't worth my time to learn.

I so don't get Maya.
The tutorials explain al the dumb features such as rotating and scaling, but I have no idea how to actually use it.
That's the problem with multi-platform applications:
Worst. GUI. Ever.

Back