Transparent plane recieving shadows?

Transparent plane recieving shadows?

Hi guys,

haven't been here in a while... long time no see ;)

I think I might have asked this before, still I am curious - maybe some additional features have been implemented by Martin in the mean time or someone created a skript!?

Anyway, here's my question:

Is there a possibility to create a plane or any geometry and have a material applied to it that is completely invisible BUT that recieves a shadow?

With other software I used to create 3d stuff, then putting it into a photograph.
The said functionality was useful to (re-)create shadows similar to the ones in the photograph, adding reality to the whole scene.

Is there any feature that could do this for me?!

Thanks a bunch guys!
cheers,
Bernd a.k.a. t0m smyk0wski

Awesome!

Thanks a lot Frank ... so now I'll wait patiently - until then I'd have to go back to the 95% transparency trick ;)

Cheers,
Bernd

Hi guys,

haven't been here in a while... long time no see ;)

I think I might have asked this before, still I am curious - maybe some additional features have been implemented by Martin in the mean time or someone created a skript!?

Anyway, here's my question:

Is there a possibility to create a plane or any geometry and have a material applied to it that is completely invisible BUT that recieves a shadow?

With other software I used to create 3d stuff, then putting it into a photograph.
The said functionality was useful to (re-)create shadows similar to the ones in the photograph, adding reality to the whole scene.

Is there any feature that could do this for me?!

Thanks a bunch guys!
cheers,
Bernd a.k.a. t0m smyk0wski

t0m,

Hello, again. I'm trying to understand your question. Can you give an example? Although v5 is supposed to come out soon, I may be able to come up with an idea to help, now.

t0m,

Hello, again. I'm trying to understand your question. Can you give an example? Although v5 is supposed to come out soon, I may be able to come up with an idea to help, now.

Hi Robert,

methinks he means this, kinda 3D photoshop drop shadow.

I've posted this answer a lot of times now -- you render against the plane and against nothing, then difference the two renders in Photoshop (or Pixelmator or whatever) to recover the shadow.

Back