Some hints on pinning points/vertexes for UV-Layouts

Some hints on pinning points/vertexes for UV-Layouts

This is not a tutorial - but might give you an idea why one should use pinned UVs. :)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UVPinningHints.png
    UVPinningHints.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 1,081
Thanks, Frank. The light bulb finally came on about the whole paint UVs deal. I understood it in concept for some time now, but couldn't not figure it out in practice.

The first image was my original effort without UV painting. The second and third were UV painted. The last is simply more of a quick scene render and my flower is only 2200 polys.

Pinning still eludes me in practice, but I'll get there. I also need to study this one.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 939
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 924
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 941
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 930
Hi Robert.
Don´t know how you built that flower - but if you´re just going for some bending on polygons I would recommend to make the UV layout and painting in first place (no pinning needed). Image A.
After further modeling the unwrap will look differently ;) Image B.
Sometimes it could have advantages to work in that order. :p
So all you might wanna know is that the more the quads lost their "squareness& coplanarity" the more pins you may need afterwards - because the LSCM algorithm
tries to recover the angles between the faces. (hope I got that right:rolleyes: )

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UVsVsGeometry.jpeg
    UVsVsGeometry.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 899
So all you might wanna know is that the more the quads lost their "squareness& coplanarity" the more pins you may need afterwards - because the LSCM algorithm
tries to recover the angles between the faces. (hope I got that right:rolleyes: )

is this happening always or only if you change the 3D model AFTER unvrapping it? I didn't investigate the theory behind LCSM and i have not done so many tests but sometimes LCSM unvrapping generate strange geometries... even for simple objects and seams, as Podperson said in the "wrong UV" thread.

thank you,
Alessandro

Hi Robert.
Don´t know how you built that flower - but if you´re just going for some bending on polygons I would recommend to make the UV layout and painting in first place (no pinning needed). Image A.
After further modeling the unwrap will look differently ;) Image B.
Sometimes it could have advantages to work in that order. :p

Cheers
Frank

Frank,

Thanks. I believe I understand. Paint it in the early stages, when appropriate, such that you know where all the details need to go, but otherwise expect to have a bit of UV layout work to do in addition.

Robert

Back