Newbie question

Newbie question

Greetings! Oh my gosh, Cheetah3D rocks... Former PC weanie, last used a Mac in 1986, recently returned from the dark side and got my Intel iMac last week... and am blown away by what Martin has created.

Anyway - I'm trying to model shapes cut from copper sheet metal, bent into a "C" shape - the attached pic should give you the general idea - In this case I tried a thin cylinder, transformed it to shape and attempted a warp, but no luck. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Attachments

• picture_1_563.png
    picture_1_563.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 426
Hi.
First: Wellcome back to mac.

I think, the best way is to go on as a bodywork-locksmith. Start with a plane with, say about 10 to 10 sections. Make editable by doubleclicking on it in the objectbrowser. In "front-view" take your "Laser-scalpel" and make cuts from polyedge to polyedge. Changes can be done by "pointsliding". If you´re ready, click on every polygonartifact that won´t belong to your form and hit the backstep-key. Throw in the "warp-tool" and make some adjustments in the properties area until the sheet metal has it´s desired form. Doubleclick on the warptool for translation. You´re now in polygonmode and hit apple-a for choosing every polygon.
Right mouseclick, go to "shell",click left mousebutton and hold it to see what happens. Now you´re adding depth to your sheet metal and transform it into strong cast iron - is´nt that alchemy? I love that part.
bodywork_193.jpg

with kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Frank rocks!

Thanks Frank - U Rock!

Exactly the help I needed.

Results were just what I needed. Helped me finish my newest scupture design.

Attachments

• pillarflame_lowres_367.jpg
    pillarflame_lowres_367.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 326
Hi,
that looks cool. But you can still improve your image. Just set the "oversampling pass 2" property of the the camera object to 16x and rerender your scene. You will see that the quality of the rendering improves dramatically since the edges of your object will become much smoother.

By,
Martin

Back