Manual Edits

C3D User Wiki

Folks,

I saw a thread just now that discusses the need for better explanation of what is in the manual/help files for Cheetah. For my part, I found it extremely informative compared to most help files I've seen in the past 30 years. Although, one user rightfully points out that using the word/term you're defining in the definition isn't very useful or appropriate.

A wiki was suggested. I would like to offer up the host space for this and the site. Meanwhile, keep in mind that experience levels vary. Each visitor has something to add...if not content, then perspective. Both are key to making this already useful community more useful.

Thoughts? Who wants to help?

Robert

Last edited:
The wiki is up and running. If I did it right, you should be able to create your own login. I'll be approving content that is posted by users, until we can establish a moderator group. In the long run, this should alleviate having to wait on one or two people to approve updates. If this thing doesn't end up being used, I'll simply trash it. Yet, I hope to the contrary that it becomes a valuable resource for C3D users.

Wiki url: http://www.cgvertx.com/c3dwiki

Last edited:
Funny thing. There was a whole thread about how we should have a wiki for Cheetah3D and that the manual doesn't offer appropriate explanations, etc. Thus, I created a wiki for people to join and, yet, I got one member and no entries.

If anyone from that thread is serious about this, please feel free to join the community there and post some info.

Why there? We have Cheetah3d website right here. No one would search for tutorials from there, also, as it seems, people are not interested in creating another account. As you have that much enthusiasm, talk to Martin, maybe you can create a wiki webpage right here where people can easily find it.
Margus

Margus,

I simply did it, as I kept seeing inputs in the thread to have this resource and thought I would lend a hand. Regardless of where it sits, it's much easier for Martin to put a link to it and have someone else maintain it.

It was intended to be a solution to the concerns of others and assistance to the community. Having resources here makes more sense, but then so does having all the Cheetah tutorials and everything else related to it that you find elsewhere on the web.

How would YOU go about putting a wiki together where accounts weren't necessary? Isn't that the point? The inputs should be regulated, no?

I think a better solution would be having the wiki right here, so people can log in with their forum password. Off cource it would require a new page, forum system is not good for a wiki.
Well, thats my opinion.
Margus

That certainly would be better. I don't see anything about a wiki capability with VBulletin and no doubt the forum uses it's own MySQL database. Unless you code a relational database system for a wiki, I don't see this happening.

There is a C3D wiki hosted on this website. It has had some security issues, but I don't think the solution is to create another third-party wiki, but to fix the (fairly minor) issues with the current wiki and/or turn over management of it to a volunteer.

Unless you code a relational database system for a wiki, I don't see this happening.

It's not especially hard to integrate logins for two different systems -- but the problem is anyone can become a member of the forum (there have been quite a few spammers on the forum too) and wikis by default allow anyone to mess up existing pages. In essence, we simply need someone to manually flag users of the forum as being eligible to edit the wiki.

If someone is able to ask a few intelligent C3D questions, post some work, and answer a question or two, then -- should they ask for it -- they should receive wiki edit access.

Back