background images for modelling?

background images for modelling?

As far as I can tell it is not possible to import background images for the view windows to help me with modelling. I tried using a flat plane with an image on it but the image is blurry and only sharpens up when rendered.
This is rather essential feature for modelling from drawings or elevations. Is there any plan to incorporate this basic feature. Of course the background images should have controls for sizing, placement and the option of scaling relative to the view zoom.
While I'm at it...might I inquire as to the possibility of a spline tool that allows skinning of multiple shapes or curves? I absolutely love the flexibility of the splines. I have an old 3d program called infiniD that allows you to extrude multiple shapes(vector lines or imported eps) allong a path...it is extremely useful. I wonder if a similar thing is possible.
Thanks kindly

Re: background images for modelling?

Hi,
Bellissimo said:
As far as I can tell it is not possible to import background images for the view windows to help me with modelling. I tried using a flat plane with an image on it but the image is blurry and only sharpens up when rendered.

Applying a texture to a plane is how I recommend it at the moment.

In the future release I will increase the quality (texture resolution) in the OpenGL preview.

Bellissimo said:
This is rather essential feature for modelling from drawings or elevations. Is there any plan to incorporate this basic feature. Of course the background images should have controls for sizing, placement and the option of scaling relative to the view zoom.

That feature is already on my todo list. The problem is that that list is quite full. So it still might take some time. I'm also still unsure how to add this feature elegantly.

Bellissimo said:
While I'm at it...might I inquire as to the possibility of a spline tool that allows skinning of multiple shapes or curves? I absolutely love the flexibility of the splines. I have an old 3d program called infiniD that allows you to extrude multiple shapes(vector lines or imported eps) allong a path...it is extremely useful. I wonder if a similar thing is possible.

You can do that with Cheetah3D too. For extruding splines you can use the "Extrude" creator object. For sweeping a spline along a path use the "Sweep" creator object.

By,
Martin

Back