Beginner Tutorial - By Robert Alvord

No problem. I have a couple more tutorials on www.cgcookie.com now.

- Boolean
- Performing a Ringcut

New ones that will be showing up there soon are:

- Basic Turret
- Making Selections
- Shell Tool
- Performing a Disconnect

Thanks, Terry. :)

All but the shell tutorial are up now. I'm going to have to get busy again LOL.

Last edited:
Just playing around with effects myself. Must do some work LOL and stop playing in Cheetah :smile:

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 392
It's the best way to learn. I did the same thing...picked a simple aspect of Cheetah to focus on and did it until I either got it, or had to put it to the side for later learning. Textures and materials are already very impressive, but ver 5 is going to hold so much more for us. Nice render, by the way. I suggest turning off the camera light.

Last edited:
It's the best way to learn. I did the same thing...picked a simple aspect of Cheetah to focus on and did it until I either got it, or had to put it to the side for later learning. Textures and materials are already very impressive, but ver 5 is going to hold so much more for us. Nice render, by the way. I suggest turning off the camera light.

Thanks, yes it's coming along . . . slowly. I trashed the file, I really need to learn more about lights. It make so much difference. It still baffles me a little.

Don't worry. Me too. Frank and Luke really know lighting.

Yes indeed those guys have really helped me out. But I still find it puzzling. What gets me is this: I take the Cheetah Paw jas file, copy paste it in a new file, check all the properties of every tag, light and material. And still it doesn't look the same as the original. That I just don't get. I bet Frank or Luke could figure it out in seconds. But I'm sure the penny will drop one day. :confused:

Hi.
You might want to know that these example files are from the very early stages of Cheetah3d´s developing. Martin kept the old lights for compatibility - but the light system was rewritten in the meantime so one can´t achieve the absolut same results with the newer versions - for instance.
(That´s being said "we" will make new examples and swap the older ones for the upcoming major release.)

Cheers
Frank

Hi.
You might want to know that these example files are from the very early stages of Cheetah3d´s developing. Martin kept the old lights for compatibility - but the light system was rewritten in the meantime so one can´t achieve the absolut same results with the newer versions - for instance.
(That´s being said "we" will make new examples and swap the older ones for the upcoming major release.)

Cheers
Frank

Ah, I see. Well that makes me feel better. I spent ages trying to get the same effect. The new version, can you pay for the update or do you have to buy it again?

Cheers

Terry

Ah, I see. Well that makes me feel better. I spent ages trying to get the same effect. The new version, can you pay for the update or do you have to buy it again?
All I found is this from the Cheetah3d.com news sections.
I don´t know if this is up to date - but I think so.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• NewsSep2008.jpeg
    NewsSep2008.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 600

Cheers

Terry

The Cheetah3D website states that if you bought ver 4 during the special sale price ($99, instead of $149), then you get the upgrade to 5 free.

Reference:
"To celebrate the 5-th anniversary of Cheetah3D we offer Cheetah3D 4.x (including free update to Cheetah3D 5.0) for a limited time for just 99$. So don't hesitate and get your copy of Cheetah3D and dive into the third dimension.", http://www.cheetah3d.com/news.php

I don't want to assume that this is retroactive, but it might be.

Last edited:
The Cheetah3D website states that if you bought ver 4 during the special sale price ($99, instead of $149), then you get the upgrade to 5 free.

Reference:
"To celebrate the 5-th anniversary of Cheetah3D we offer Cheetah3D 4.x (including free update to Cheetah3D 5.0) for a limited time for just 99$. So don't hesitate and get your copy of Cheetah3D and dive into the third dimension.", http://www.cheetah3d.com/news.php

I don't want to assume that this is retroactive, but it might be.

Hmm, I think I'll contact Martin and ask him. But for now I'm still getting a grip on version 4. I'll wait to see what the other guys say about 5. But thanks anyway.

Hello, all. It's been a while, and I haven't been able to kick out as much in the way of tutorials, but I've done some, which I plan to "tweak" and get published.

On that note, I also decided that, although there are tons of wood textures out there, most of the free ones aren't that great. I Googled tutorials on how to do this Photoshop and found that the results just didn't look all that great. Thus, I set out to do this on my own. I'm not quite where I want to be with it yet, but here's a sneak peak. If interested, I'll do up a quick static tutorial on how I did it.

Attachments

• Picture 26.png
    Picture 26.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 541
  • Picture 27.png
    Picture 27.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 530
  • Picture 28.png
    Picture 28.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 525
  • Picture 29.png
    Picture 29.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 527
  • Picture 30.png
    Picture 30.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 534
Great tutorials!

Hey Robert these are great tutorials!
I've just downloaded the Cheetah demo but thanks to your vids I'm pretty sure I'm gunna take the plunge.

So... thank you! :)

No problem. Glad I could help someone else. Most of it was/is a journey for me, too. You may want to wait until some fixes are in place for Cheetah, if you're using Snow Leopard, though.

Last edited:
No problem. Glad I could help someone else. Most of it was/is a journey for me, too. You may want to wait until some fixes are in place for Cheetah, if you're using Snow Leopard, though.

yeah I'm noticing a lot of people complaining about Cheetah/Snow Leopard compatibility... I guess those two felines don't get along!! :p

Thankfully I'm still on regular Leopard and have no plan to switch til it looks like all those quirks are sorted out

Then you'll have a great time with it. It's been one of the biggest reasons I've considered going into 3D modeling and animation.

Back