2nd Cheetah3D-Contest Preview

2nd Cheetah3D-Contest Preview

Hi,
since the 1st Cheetah3D contest was such a success I already plan to make a second one.

There is nothing official yet but I plan to hold it in the period of March-April. This time it will probably become a character modeling competition. And with characters I mean everything with eyes. Humans, animals, robots, monsters, aliens speaking vegetable tins etc.

So if you are interested to participate you can already start thinking about a cool character you can model.

By,
Martin

Awesome! :D

Can we include scenery and other items or is it going to be only the character itself? Can we create a theme to the picture? Can you even disclose this information? :lol:

Looking forward to it! :D

MovieMaker said:
Can we include scenery and other items or is it going to be only the character itself? Can we create a theme to the picture? Can you even disclose this information? :lol:

Hi,
I'm not 100% sure about the actual rules. I have to consider that first. But the main work should be on the character.

By,
Martin

Does this have to be a new character or can it be a 3D interpretation of an all ready existing character? Say like Mickey Mouse?

Bearweav said:
Does this have to be a new character or can it be a 3D interpretation of an all ready existing character? Say like Mickey Mouse?

Hi,
I haven't made the actual rules yet but I would prefer an new character at the moment.
I think there is still enough time to invent a new one. :wink:

By,
Martin

Eric_J said:
Another question--will it be still images only, or can they animated?

Hi,
that is a difficult question. Since there are no skeletal animation tools in Cheetah3D yet. I would say it could become quite difficult to create an animated character yet.
What did you plan?

By,
Martin

Martin

Have you seen "Luxo Jr."?

<http://www.pixar.com/shorts/ljr/theater/short_320.html>

I don't believe that John Lasseter invented skeletal animation or inverse kinematics before he made Luxo, Jr., and it was made 20 years ago.

That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of. Can that be done in Cheetah? If not, why not?

Thanks!

Eric

If not, why not?

Because you didn't say "please". :p

I think skeletal animation's been on Martin's List Of Cool Things To Do for a while now, but he's only one guy - and honestly, I think I prefer some of the really excellent features he added to the renderer over skeletal animation. The reason being, if he'd given us skeletal animation by now, the renderer would be much less mature... so while we'd be able to animate characters easily, they'd look nowhere near as good as they do now.

Now that Cheetah has a very mature renderer, though, skeletal animation is something that could actually be useful once we have the new UV tools in 3.0 completed. =)

RandyWang said:
If not, why not?

Because you didn't say "please". :p

I think skeletal animation's been on Martin's List Of Cool Things To Do for a while now, but he's only one guy

I completely agree, but what makes you think I was asking for skeletal animation?

Have you posted any of your animations? I'd love to see how you manage your nested groups, I really would! Thanks!:)

Eric

Hi Eric,
I've seen your animation in the gallery forum and your are right that it is already possible to make charakter animations in Cheetah3D. Especially robot animation and or "Lamp" animations like in Luxor, Jr. should be possible.

So I should seriously consider if I allow animations. :wink: Some animations would be very cool for sure.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi Eric,
I've seen your animation in the gallery forum and your are right that it is already possible to make charakter animations in Cheetah3D. Especially robot animation and or "Lamp" animations like in Luxor, Jr. should be possible.

So I should seriously consider if I allow animations. :wink: Some animations would be very cool for sure.

Martin

Thanks Martin--I've posted another one. If you decide "Yes", then consider it my entry--even though it has no eyes!

Eric

Eric_J said:
Thanks Martin--I've posted another one. If you decide "Yes", then consider it my entry--even though it has no eyes!

Hi Eric,
slowly slowly. I can't accept entries for a contest which didn't already start. :wink:
I first want to release v3.0. After that I will think about the next contest. I expect that it will start in the first half of March.

By,
Martin

Hey, I've finally worked out what my character will be.

So maybe this time I'll actually enter the competition. ;)

(Hint: it'll be very, very, very shiny. Woo! ;) )

Hi,
that's good to hear. The more entries the better. And you still have more than enough time to give it a final touch. I'm looking forward to see it.

By,
Martin

Contest Idea for Martin....

What about a contest with a world cup 2006 theme ?

Theres a lot of nationalities here and it could be a lot of fun after all Martin's country is hosting the event...there could be a few fallings out after certain matches (in a funny ribbing way) and you don't have to be football mad to enter

I support Italy by the way !?

Regards

Luke

Hi Luke,
I think that is an excellent idea but I also have some concerns that the contest might be to limited. So I want a motto which is a little bit wider. The more entries the better.

By,
Martin

P.S. I finally got a world cup ticket. Brazil against Australia in Munich. I can't await it. :D :D :D

Back