Ypenhof Villa WIP

Ypenhof Villa WIP

So I'll start a new topic for this model.

Here's a test with water caustics.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• ypenhof02_172.jpg
    ypenhof02_172.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,585
Nice Peter. Gives the building a funky Ettore Sottsass, Memphis Group texture! Dutch meets Memphis.

Haha, I had to google the Mephis Group. They have made some nice designs. So should I drop the caustics from the water? Or make it less dominant. Ah well, I think I'm going to focus on the contest first. I just have to think what to model...

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

The caustics seem 2 dimensional to me. It's as if the light is reading the texture and bump on a single plane and not reading the water as a true volume. So, you don't get a gradation of values between the white lines on the wall. It's either dark or light. Needs more investigation.

What kind of light are you using in the water?

Jake,

There are no lights in the water. They're just cilinders with an high emitter material. The caustics come from a plane with an caustic texture that's in front of a spotlight. The light is shown on the lefthand side of the screenshot. I could send the file including the caustic file.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• picture_1_174.jpg
    picture_1_174.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,391
This question might be stupid because i am fairly new to C3D, but what does the plane infront of the spotlight do and how does that work? is the plane transparent? i tried something like that, but it didn't work out.

thanks

John Markham

See that squiggly light pattern on the building in the previous post? That's what the plane is doing. It's like a scrim in a photo studio setup. Not sure how he made it. Probably a .png with an alpha?

Here's a sample setup. put the jpg in the transparency map. It works indeed like a projector. The scene was created in v2.6. It would be nice if we could import an image inside the spotlight.

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• caustics_819.zip
    101.2 KB · Views: 530
Not working for me.

I put in a spotlight, I make sure it does shadows, I put in a plane, and put a transparency texture in. black and white jpg. I get nothing I'm using ambient occlusion rendering. the spot is the only light. But it's not working like a gobo/gel. What could I be doing wrong?

Shadow file

peer said:
Post your scene, and I'll have a look at it if you want

Regards,

Peter
I just can't get the froth.tif to cast a shadow on the plane1 object. I hope you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, so confused....

Last edited:
uncle808us said:
I just can't get the froth.tif to cast a shadow on the plane1 object. I hope you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, so confused....

uncle808us,

Here is the answer :
- Change the shadow type of the spotlight to raytrace + transparency
- You need to use an 8bit/channel image rather than a 1bit/channel. I'm not too sure why but Martin may need to look at this.
I loaded the froth.tif image with Apercu and then did a "Save as..." with 8bit/channel. And this is now working...;)

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 427
Hi Uncle808.
Try these files.
The changes are in order of appearance:)
Changed your froth.tif to 8bit per channel (1bit-images don´t have any alpha), dropped the black values to an extra alpha.
Unchecked "use alpha channel". Set spotlight-shadows to "raytrace+trans". Saved the file as "ShadowNew.jas". The light will be blocked out by the black parts of the tiff. Putting the alphatiff in the colorchannel the light will be blocked out by the white pixels.

So squeeze the cow and enjoy.

But honestly; I have no idea what are after;-) But maybe this is the start of a wonderful earthrendering showing a view from the ISS.

with kindest regards
Frank The Nephew

Attachments

• ShadowNewRender.jpg
    ShadowNewRender.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 404
  • Shadow+Tiff.zip
    52.3 KB · Views: 418
Thanks Frank, Thanks Peer.

Spotlight raytrace+transparency DUH!! man sometimes I wonder, I should have known that. Thanks to the both of you. I upload the result of my project when it's finished. Thanks agian.

One question Peer.

Francois said:
uncle808us,

Here is the answer :
- Change the shadow type of the spotlight to raytrace + transparency
- You need to use an 8bit/channel image rather than a 1bit/channel. I'm not too sure why but Martin may need to look at this.
I loaded the froth.tif image with Apercu and then did a "Save as..." with 8bit/channel. And this is now working...;)

What is :Apercu

That's right all that for a worm!

uncle808us said:
Spotlight raytrace+transparency DUH!! man sometimes I wonder, I should have known that. Thanks to the both of you. I upload the result of my project when it's finished. Thanks agian.
Here's the worm with the shadows.

Last edited:
uncle808us said:
What is :Apercu

The standard Apple viewer for pdf, tiff, jpeg ... etc that is delivered with OS X . I tought it was also the same name for this software in the English version of Tiger. But maybe not since you are asking. If not, what is it ?
In any case, you could use any other program for the conversion (Pshop, Graphiconverter, ...)

Back