glass tower

glass tower

here's a test rendering I did for a new building I'm working on (I can't believe my bosses are letting me play around with this stuff!!).

i'm pretty amazed at how quickly i've been able to pick up this software- i've tried formz, rhino, blender, etc... and i just couldn't figure out how to do anything fast enough... I had been looking for a renderer to supliment my SketchUp work, someone recommended this program... I spent a few days trying to figure out how the lighting worked... but eventually got the hang of it.

anyway- this is a dramatic close-up of one of the glass towers... any comments/criticisms are welcome (the HDRI i got off of these forums... it's a little dark for my tastes, but the image still looks pretty good).

-to

Attachments

• render_test_-_8_146.jpg
    render_test_-_8_146.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Looks good Toaster.

Turn up the power on the HDRI a hair if it's too dark. It would help if the sky was a litle bluer. Don't go to far beause things will get washed out and look odd. HDRI's seem to have a sweet spot for adjustment, but when you get past that just a little, they go straight in the garbage so be careful.

Great to see more architecture work. I think Cheetah is highly underated for this kind of work. Keep it up!

thanks!

i'm still on the look-out for some good HDRI's...

i haven't quite figured out how to get the lighting to work the way i want it to... i'm trying to get good ambient light while still having some shadows... but i'd also like to get lighting as if it were a cloudy day (soft shadows, everything is lit, etc...) - a lot of my shadows are way too dark, and I'm not sure how to lighten them up without totally washing out the image.

i've tried attaching a point-light to the camera, in addition to the distant light... but nothing seems to work properly...

maybe i just need a basic tutorial on lighting in 3D models...

thanks again-

-to

If you want soft light with no hard shadows then you need a cloudy HDRI. Really makes difference. Do you have the latest Photoshop. Just make a medium grey file, save as a 32-bit images and export as a radiance file. Use it to light the model and you will get very soft muted tones.

If you don't have Photoshop CS2, I'll make one for you and email it to you.

Jake...

looks like you may as well make a variety of your custom PS HDRI's and post them on the forum as I am sure a lot of us could put them to work... maybe not to the standard of you or TimD (speaking of myself here of course!!!! :D )... as I know that I for one would not say no to them... :wink:

cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
Jake...

looks like you may as well make a variety of your custom PS HDRI's and post them on the forum as I am sure a lot of us could put them to work... maybe not to the standard of you or TimD (speaking of myself here of course!!!! :D )... as I know that I for one would not say no to them... :wink:

cheers
Trevor

Trevor,

I really wouldn't mind, but anything with any clouds aetc need to be of a certain size or they will be to blurry. They got to be big. Then it's a matter of logistics–they are too big for email or consume too much bandwidth for Martin.

Well figure out something.

Sending it's not usually a problem. It's the mailbox with a 256 k limit at the other end. How does that work Francois? There must be a hook.

the other end does not use their email to receive the file.... they just download via the web rather than email... so only an issue if they have limits set on their access and not just their email...

hmmm... will the grey HDRI really work to create soft shadows? I think i'm really looking for a lighting option that is similar to the "skylight" light in 3DS Max (never actually used it, though). seems odd to me to have to play around with an HDRI when what i really want is a diffused light-source - i trust that it'll work, though.

jake - i'll PM you with my e-mail address (my office was supposed to get the latest adobe suite 3 months ago - but they keep giving me the run-a-round... i might just break down and get it myself since i use it enough).

but- i agree that your HDRI's should be available to everyone somehow...

anyway- thanks!!!

-to

Back