HDRI

Jake,
What if you put a render tag to the groundplane and turn off cast shadows and, visible in radiosity? Only the shadow act weird.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• without_754.jpg
    without_754.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 823
PhotoshopCS2 does the same thing, almost. It has an automatic tool for blending multiple exposure ranges. This one probably works better. Problelk people are having is blending photos together when they are HDRI's. The point I;m trying to make is that you really don't need to start with HDRI's work with tifs, assmeble with the siftware oif your choice and then turn them into 32-bit hdr's.

This software will probably work great for those who do not want to buy Photoshop, but they will still need something to creat the files needed to convert to 32-bit. Does, that make any sense? Probably not :cry:

Do you use this software Jaques?

peer said:
Jake,
What if you put a render tag to the groundplane and turn off cast shadows and, visible in radiosity? Only the shadow act weird.

Regards,

Peter

That's another good alternative to solve the ground plane problem. You really have to be careful because it starts to look to unnatural. There is fine line to walk here form unatural to nice ambient fill.

I'm working on a sunset hdr. Will post it in a few minutes.

Here is a fake sunset. Not great, but it can be done without photography. I have to go to our morning meeting I'll add some detail after I get back.

Attachments

• sunset.hdr_145.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 363
Here is, what I think, another interesting link about HDRI (with some samples too) :
< http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/hdri_images.html#working > as well as the home page < http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/ >

Among some of the links in these pages, here is a potential interesting one :
< http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/siggraph/HDRIE/ >

Per the home page :
"Our 2002 EOH Project is HDRIE. The High Dynamic Range Image Editor is a project inspired by HDR Shop. We created HDRIE in order to overcome the shortcoming of HDR Shop being closed source, and only available on the WIN32 platform. We are trying to recreate much of the functionality of HDR Shop in an open source, cross-platform environment using Qt. "

HDRIE source is available and binaries of the 2 libraries that are needed to compile it (Qt and GNU Scientific Library) seem to be available for OS X

I am not a programmer so I may have missed something. But I thought this was worth mentionning just in case someone feels capable of looking at this to increase the number of HDRI programs for our preferred platform ... :cool:

Excellent post Francois. Very interesting work. I sure would like to see this option for the mac, but I'm not a programmer either. Maybe Martin can give us some direction.

Jake said:
Excellent post Francois. Very interesting work. I sure would like to see this option for the mac, but I'm not a programmer either. Maybe Martin can give us some direction.

Hi,
that app looks indeed very interesting. It would be nice if anybody can port it.

But my knowledge about Qt is almost zero and it would probably cost my quite some time to make it run on the Mac. But Cheetah3D v3.0 is already eating up all my time.

But everybody with coding experience is very welcome to port this app. I could beta test it. :wink:

By,
Martin

Back