Fallingwater

Fallingwater

I'm experimenting again with HDRI's and Cheetah. This is another Sketchup model lit with an HDRI I made form the 1000skies site. I give up on SketchUp .3ds exports. It sucks-period. I tried the .fbx and it's much better although I still have a couple of anomalies. Too new to .fbx, but I'll figure it out. Martin what's the likelihood that Cheetah will support displacement maps in the future. Sure would like to to get the edge of the stone to look a little more realistic. Other wise I think it's working pretty good. Cheetah still amazes me!

Attachments

• frank_147.jpg
    frank_147.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,876
Hi Jeff,
wow you surpassed yourself. These are amazing renderings. Are you sure you used Cheetah3D. :wink: These renderings look so realistic. Great job.

Can I add them to my online gallery? If yes could I have uncompressed tiffs.

Sorry but true displacment mapping isn't on my v3.0 todo list. My v3.0 todo list is already overfull.

By,
Martin

P.S. I've recently written a .exr (OpenEXR) file loader for v3.0. OpenEXR is a modern High Dynamic Range file format which is more and more becoming the standard for HDR images. It is a true 64 bit floating point format so the quality of .exr images is much higher than of .hdr images. Jeff maybe you are happy to hear that there is also no image resolution limitation. :wink:

Martin said:
P.S. I've recently written a .exr (OpenEXR) file loader for v3.0. OpenEXR is a modern High Dynamic Range file format which is more and more becoming the standard for HDR images. It is a true 64 bit floating point format so the quality of .exr images is much higher than of .hdr images. Jeff maybe you are happy to hear that there is also no image resolution limitation. :wink:

Thanks Martin. I'm just barely getting a handle on the HDR images and now you throw this at me. I'll never get any sleep! :shock:

What program do you use to make 64 bit .exr files. Geez!

They are 2 excellent renders Jake... up to your usual brilliant form...

did you light these exclusively with HDRI or did you use other lighting... the 2nd pic is very well done

cheers
Trevor

Thanks Trevor,

Straight HDRI. I'll make a small version of it and post it tomorrow then you guys can give it a whirl. It's at the office.

What have you been up to? Haven't sen you on the forums much lately?

don't think there has been aday when I have not been here... just reading lately... same on PPB...

have not had a lot of time to put into C3D what with home reno's getting plugged REALLY HARD by the better half... and then when I get to dirty my hand on the PB it is so late and then get into trouble for staying up... never win it seems :lol:

I was going to sak about the possibility of getting a cut down version of the file to check out the setup... so I will keep my eyes open for it

cheers

Once again a fabulous render!! The Fallingwater model is very nice!
Also curious about the .exr format. You'll probably need a new program for it? PS CS2 doesn't support 64 bit I think.

Regards,

Peter

Here's one with the sun added. Still get some weird materials, but I'm pretty sure it's a sketchup issue.

Attachments

• 7_141.jpg
    7_141.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,276
Jake said:
What program do you use to make 64 bit .exr files. Geez!

Good question. I thought Photoshop can do that. Even Preview.app in MacOS X 10.4 can load .exr files. And most other renderers can load it too.

OpenExr was developt by "Industrial Light and Magic" and I think everybody knows what these guys made. :wink: OpenExr is definitvly the best file format for high end (cinema) quality HDR images.

Here is a link how Hollywood makes their .exr files:
http://www.spheron.com/spheron/public/en/rbv_spherocamhdr/rbv_spherocamhdr.php

But as far as I know does this camera cost 50.000$US :-( But if anybody wants to make me a small christmas gift. I wouldn't say no. :wink:

By,
Martin

Martin said:
But as far as I know does this camera cost 50.000$US

If it's only 50.00 US dollars, no problem. if it 50,000 US dollars then that could be a problem. Sorry. :oops:

Hi,
sorry but I wrote the number the german way where commas and points are changed. The actual price is 50 thousand dollars :cry: For 50$ I would buy two of these babies. :D

By,
Martin

Photosphere can convert files from .hdr to .exr.

I know, I was just kidding with you. I know those things are expensive, so you probably won't be getting one from me.

Photosphere? I thought that was just a viewer. Great.

Ok so I've got 6 hdrs from Terragen (six sides of a cube). I can now make a cross HDR for example. Is there a free program to join these 6 hdrs into 1? I know I could join them in Photoshop CS2, but I don't have it.

Thanks,

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

Cubic Convertor is not free, but almost. Really a great program. You could make a vr out of them or export as a panoramic HDR. Does lots's of stuff.

Jake,

Thanks, I'm downloading a trial version right now. The program only costs 50 dollars, if I like it I might buy it then!

Regards,

Peter

ps. If the HDR is tested I'll post an image.

that rendering looks amazing...

question- what are your lighting settings? what do you set your camera settings to as well? everything i do turns out either too dark or too light... i also would like to know what your glass settings are... i've been playing around, but nothing ever seems to look good.

thanks-

to

Toaster,

Nothing too mysterious with the settings. I don't have the file at home. I'll see if I can zip it and post it tomorrow. The key is a good hdri which provides most the light and ambient fill. The last has a distant light for a little directional light.

Jeff --

Nnnnnice...Very nice indeed.

Did you model the SU Fallingwater that's been floating arond on the web?

Which HDR did you use? It's got fantastic illumination. Like I said, those free ones I linked to in the 360 Skies thread were absolute pants.

Yea, the model was posted at the SketchUp forum originally. I've gone through and added glass, rounded corners, etc. It's not done a long shot. But it's closer than it was.

I have thje .fbx file if you send me an email I'll mail it and the materials to you. Too big to post. I would love to give you guys everything I have, but it's bid and landlocked becuase of the size. The .fbx isn't too bad zipped it's a mg, but the .jas file is 16 mgs. Like I say, I'll email the .fbx and materials if you would like. Just drop me a line. There are acouple bad windows. It's a SketchUp thing. I'll fix then later.

The HDRI, I'm working on it. The company that I bought the skies from don't want my HDRI's reditributed without there permission and a piece of the action. I've been in contact with the owner of 1000skies, so we'll see what he says in the next couple of days.

Toaster. the glass is a medium to dark grey. Specular 10. Transparency.8 reflection.4 Like I said nothing fancy. The reflection of the HDRI really brings the windows to life. I'm sure there are a lot better settings and more you can do, but this worked for me on this particular day.

Back