HDRI through window?

HDRI through window?

Hello community,

I don't know how to do set the glas-window settings so that the HDRI will illuminate the scene inside the room.
I've addet a picture showing on the left the scene with window and on the right with the window removed.

Attachments

• hdri_glas_794.jpg
    hdri_glas_794.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,753
Hi,
that problem is already solved since 2.3.1. You can do two things to make HDRI light pass through a window.

1. Increase the "specular scatterings" property of the radiosity tag. If you have a single polygon window 1 is enough if you've used a box for the window (two sides) you have to set it to 2.

2. Add a "Render" tag to the window object and disable the "visible in radiosity" option of the "Render" tag.

In general possibility 2 is faster. So I would recommend the second possibility for clear glas windows.

By,
Martin

Well!

Thank you, Martin,

this works. I LIKE this programm!

There is no other light than the HDRI.
May be the settings of the HDRI are wrong, it looks a bit unsharp.

Attachments

• hdri_buro_494.jpg
    hdri_buro_494.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,687
Hi,
scenes where the light is only passing through windows often require more "samples" in the radiosity tag. Reducing the error property should also help.

If you increase the "intensity" property of the radiosity tag your room should be lighted brighter.

By,
Martin

Hi,

I've increased the samples and the "power" of the HDRI.
Thanks for your advice.

greetz

Attachments

• buro7_207.jpg
    buro7_207.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,630
You could also let a direct light (sun) shine through the window, this would also make the room lighter and can create some nice shadows. Or try an area light which also makes soft shadows. (maybe direct lights can have soft shadows? -> Martin?)

Regards,
Peter

Martin your right a direct light doesn't have soft shadows ofcourse :) a parallel beam of light doesn't produce it I guess.

Hi,

of course I've tryed some different light situation. But I like the dark one.
I'm new to 3D, so I play around with it.

The dark one is just the try to illuminate the indoor-scene only via HDRI. And I find the result impressive.

Attachments

• buro7b_963.jpg
    buro7b_963.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,605
Wow, Very nice!! You can also use an arealight with the same size as the windows and give it a low intensity. In my example I only used the area, HDRI and a direct light for sun. The only thing I don't like is the bright spot that the arealight creates. Can't wait for the photonmapping!!

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• 03_198.jpg
    03_198.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,374
Hi Chuonrad,
you made a very impressive indoor rendering. Wow :D Since I don't have a indoor rendering in my online gallery yet would you allow me to add yours?

By,
Martin

Hi Chuonrad,
thank you very much. The image is perfect as it is since I would have to .jpg compress it too.

Under which name should I post your image in the gallery?

By,
Martin

Chuonrad, peer,

Very nice !
Here is another indoor scene for a chimney project. Just with HRDI, radiosity and a point light acting as the sun. I'm not fully happy but the customer liked it since it's very closed to reality. The room ceiling could take some more contrast to really show the mezzanine but I ran out of time to find a better solution.
Any comments/hints will be appreciated.

By the way, any ideas on how to model/simulate a fire in that chimney for the coming winter night times ?

Attachments

• 11a_603.jpg
    11a_603.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 635
Francois, for the fire you could use a couple of planes with a fire texture on it. Maybe with a little transparency. And maybe a couple of point lights in the red, orange, yellow colors. When I have some time I will try it out.

Regards,
Peter

edit:
Very quick one (and bad, but you get the idea)

Attachments

• flame_634.jpg
    flame_634.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 611
Back