Unity help.

Unity help.

I purchased Cheetah3D to complement and be used with Unity. So far I love both programs but I'm having some trouble getting my exported Cheetah3D models to work with textures in Unity. I've reread the Unity tutorial that recommend Cheetah3D but still haven't figured it out.

Does anyone else use Unity and do you have any tips. I've also found that importing the same 3ds exported file back into Unity loses the texture so I'm not sure where my problem is.

Hi jmcguire.

Just a quick suggestion. (I don´t use Unity)
Put your textures and the exported files in the same folder will maybe help. (What it does for me in Bryce and back to Cheetah3d with 3ds files)
Give it a short try.

with kindest regards

frank

Also, don't forget to add the UV tag.

/off topic
Is it just me? But it seams like Unity is getting hot! I also saw Martin subscribe to the Unity forums recently. Getting back to your old habit Martin :D ?

Sora.

Hi,
I've just tried to import some models in Unity 1.1 and I also had some problems. The materials got lost. But when I tested it the last last time (i guess in 1.0) it worked. I've already contaced Joe Ante from otee if he knows more.

One more thing. Cheetah3D doesn't care about the texture size but Unity expects textures which have a power of two size like 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, etc. Otherwise they won't load.

I'm also working with otee together to add a batch mode to Cheetah3D so that it should be possible to load .jas files directly into Unity in the future.

By,
Martin

You are correct Martin, I have the same problem. I had to reassign the materials manually inside Unity.

...load .jas files directly into Unity...
In human language, the same level of support for .jas files as there is currently for Maya files? Sounds fantastic :D !

Sora.

Thank you every one I will be trying the suggestions. I'm not sure if my texture is the proper size so I'll check that then I'll try putting the items in the same folder. So far I love both programs. Its pretty cool Unity's beginner tutorial recommend Cheetah3D.

I've mentioned both products to a friend and he and I plan on working on some stuff. He's very excited to try out Cheetah but he's waiting on his new mac. The old G3 just won't cut it any more.

Thanks again.

Sora said:
Also, don't forget to add the UV tag.

/off topic
Is it just me? But it seams like Unity is getting hot! I also saw Martin subscribe to the Unity forums recently. Getting back to your old habit Martin :D ?

Sora.

How do I add the UV tag?

Select your object in the Object Browser, locate the button left of the Cow and select the first icon that looks like a flag.

Sora.

Sora said:
In human language, the same level of support for .jas files as there is currently for Maya files? Sounds fantastic :D !

Yes, that was the idea. I rewrote big parts of the file loader API to make the file loader totally independent form the UI. So the batch mode is actually as fast as a command line tool. It doesn't load the UI at all. That should guarantee the best possible performance.

By,
Martin

Back