Major bug (?) found

Major bug (?) found

O well, this one is very hard.

Firstly, I used the demo on a G4 dual 867 MHz, Panther and ATI 9800Pro (128 MB vram). No problem there, Cheetah3D worked nicely.

This week, I received a new computer : G5 dual 2.0 GHz with Tiger 10.4.2, ATI X850XT (256 MB vram), 2.5 GB ram, Apple's 20" LCD. The bug is systematic and easily reproducible : as soon as I use the "make polygon" tool and clic the first point, everything crash. The computer totally freeze and I get the beach ball forever. Even the "force quit" doesn't work ! I have to manually restart the computer.

This is occuring with the demo of Cheetah3D version 2.2, and also with the version 2.3.2.

Apparently, this may be related to the video card and its drivers, but I'm not sure. However, because of this, Cheetah becomes unusable. Any idea what is happening here ?

Hi,
sorry for the problems. I've never heared about that problem. But since the hole Mac crashes this sounds like a driver bug. I have the same Mac but with a ATI 9600. No problems with the 9600 ever.
Due to memory protection in OS X it shouldn't be possible for a app to crash the OS. But the driver can do that of course.

I don't know if that crash even created a chrash.log ( ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Cheetah3D.crash.log ). If yes please mail it to me.

Does the "Scalpel" tool work?

By,
Martin

I can't tell about the crash log.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the drivers. Like I said, I never experienced that problem under Panther and ATI 9800 Pro. But on the new Mac, the bug is really systematic. But why is the "Create Polygon" trigger the bug ? Just a single clic with that tool and that's enough to lock up all the thing.

Kali said:
But why is the "Create Polygon" trigger the bug ? Just a single clic with that tool and that's enough to lock up all the thing.

Because after the click the scene will be redrawn. That's why I asked if the scalpe tool works. Since the scalpel tool uses the same OpenGL commands as the create polygon tool.

By,
Martin

Martin,

I tried the Scalpel tool. No problem there. It's working fine. And after that, I tried the "Create polygon" tool to close the hole I made with the scalpel and BANG ! Total freeze and the beach ball of death !

I also tried all the other tools (Fill Hole, Magnet, Extrude, Inner extrude, Shell, Ring cut, Jigsaw, etc ...), and no problem. Apparently, only the create polygon triggers the bug.

What's your verdict ?

Martin,

I just reinstalled EVERYTHING today on my computer. It's a very clean install. And the bug is still there. It's very specific and systematic. As soon as I use the "Create polygon" tool, the first clic freeze the computer. No access to force quit, nothing ! This is really frustrating.

Hi,
I've sent you a beta version via email which probably works arround that bug. Haven't you received it?

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
I've sent you a beta version via email which probably works arround that bug. Haven't you received it?

By,
Martin

I just tried it. It works ! Apparently, that was a real Cheeath bug, and not a driver bug ? Is it ?

Hi,
I'm very happy to hear that the problem is solved. :D :D

But this time it wasn't my fault. That pice of code works on all other graphics boards I know so I guess that it is actually a bug in the X850 driver. It looks that that driver crashes the hole OS when you draw a line loop with just one vertex. OK that doesn't make to much sense but it isn't forbitten too. All other drivers apparently handel that case correctly.

By,
Martin

Back