Non-Destructive "Editable" Creator

Non-Destructive "Editable" Creator

It would be really nice to be able to do mesh-level stuff to a modifier chain without making it editable and losing the chain.

Suggested Implementation: provide a creator that turns its contents into an editable mesh but preserves the chain of junk that created it. If you make changes inside it, they are not reflected in the results unless you explicitly regenerate them.

Note that, say, 3D Studio Max has long provided a tool of this kind, and it simply borks the stuff below it in the modifier chain if you make a change above it (and no-one minds very much, since there's not much else it can do).

The way C3D seems to work, this would have to be a creator and not a modifier -- or am I missing something? (We've had the creator vs. modifier discussion before so I won't go back into that :) )

I would add a checkbox property to the modifier that would allow you to choose whether you want to edit mesh level stuff on that modifier. So, what's the difference between a Creator and a Modifier?:tongue:

Hope this makes sense,

Lincoln Green, a.k.a Hairball600

Creators live "above" the thing they operate on in the object hierarchy. Modifiers live "below" or inside the thing they operate on. Multiple modifiers can live inside one object and are applied in order.

Aside from that, there's no really crucial difference -- it's just how Martin has chosen to implement things.

Oh -- and for technical reasons -- you apply an object tag or texture to objects and creators, but not modifiers.

Creators live "above" the thing they operate on in the object hierarchy. Modifiers live "below" or inside the thing they operate on. Multiple modifiers can live inside one object and are applied in order.

Aside from that, there's no really crucial difference -- it's just how Martin has chosen to implement things.

Oh -- and for technical reasons -- you apply an object tag or texture to objects and creators, but not modifiers.

Yeah, I knew that. I was being sarcastic:wink:

Back