Proper local vs world space across all objects

Proper local vs world space across all objects

Something I've noticed about Cheetah is that it seems to have an incorrect concept of what local coordinate space is versus world coordinate space.

Handy image:

CheetahNormal.jpg

For example, in this image I have the transform widget in local coordinate space. I selected the edge that is red but that is not the correct local space. The red arrow of that widget should be pointing outwards along the edges normal which would be more like the yellow line is indicating rather than straight up.

This bug happens a lot with edges, vertices and faces. It makes working in local space a completely random affair as to whether you'll get a useful widget or not.

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm quite sure that this is no bug.

In Cheetah3D the local space is meant as the object coordinate system. If you transform the object with the "rotation" property you also change its object space and therefore the space in which mesh editing happen.

It looks like you rotated the cylinder by 90° so also the local space gadget was rotated by 90°. So that isn't random but intentional.

This behavior is quite common throughout most 3D apps like Maya, C4D etc.

Bye,
Martin

In Cheetah3D the local space is meant as the object coordinate system.
Ahh...

This behavior is quite common throughout most 3D apps like Maya, C4D etc.
That's true but they also have the local behavior I was talking about.

So I'd like to change this feature request then. :)

1) Change "local" in Cheetah to read "object".

2) Add a new "local" coordinate system which would work the way I described.

I would really find it handy to be able to drag things like polygons and edges along their local normals. This is handy in many, many ways and the packages you mention definitely support this way as well.

Thanks!

Wow, I have never even seen those tools before. I must be blind! Thanks for pointing them out. Yes, those do what I'm looking for!

I still think they could be better implemented though as a coordinate system selection option.

Back