A couple vertex painting wishes

A couple vertex painting wishes

1. I would like it if you could weight vertexes based on polygon selection. I brought this up in an earlier post, but I had a couple more ideas so I thought I would group them.

2. Clear all weighting for current bone. I'm messing with jointing characters and I have a leg bone that affects the arm and body besides the leg, and since I'm going to have to touch up on it anyway, I'd rather just have it cleared.

3. Symmetrical vertex painting. (This would probably be a job for tg_jp in light of his "Mirror copy" script(very useful by the way)) But it would be very handy.

Hi
I dont quite understnd your first one.

the second one seems a bit uneccessary-trust me, Coming from maya land the cheetah weighting process is a dream come true..

3 is a great idea, though I imagine it would only work in the right circumstances, in perticular, there could be no overlapping UV's, or the model would have to be 100% symetrical without flaw...Good idea though.
AC

The first one means you select the polygons you want a certain bone to affect, then press a button which automatically makes the bone affect your selection.

Edit: Oh, and on the second one…
I bind my skeleton to my mesh. However, my thighbone is affecting tiny parts of the body and arms. As it is, I have to look all over the place to find what it's affecting and then subtract the vertex weights. Well, it would be alot faster just to have a "Clear Vertex Weights" button or something. Also, a very minor bug. The add/subtract menu says "Substract" and not "Subtract". Anyway, enough said.;)

Last edited:
The problem with "clearing vertex weights" is that it's kind of impossible. Every vertex needs to be assigned to *something* ... so reducing bone x's weighting on a vertex increases the weight of every non-zero weighted bone. If bone x is the only non-zero weighted bone, you can't reduce its weight until you add some weight on another bone.

(If you could completely clear weights, then vertices would in effect be weighted to the parent (e.g. the world) and would get left behind ... so that's not a solution either.

One useful tip when painting vertex weights (and for modeling in general) is to add an ambient light to your scene but have it not rendered -- then you can fairly easily see the colored vertex weights.

One wish I can think of is a tag to exclude a joint from being included in the vertext weighing. This could lead to some interesting effects in animating characters.

Todd

One wish I can think of is a tag to exclude a joint from being included in the vertext weighing. This could lead to some interesting effects in animating characters.

Todd

Umm, I agree this would be a good feature. Or allow weighting influence to be animated over time so you could change the weight.

Back