vertex weight based on selection.

vertex weight based on selection.

It would be very nice I think if you could vertex paint based on selection, not just based on where you drag the mouse. You should still be able to do it the old way, but it would also be very nice if you could select what you want to be painted, then choose a menu option(Preferably in the same menu as the 'add' 'subtract' 'minimum, and 'maximum') labeled something like paint. anyone else?

In general, vertex-weighting high poly meshes in C3D is painful -- what you're suggesting would be helpful, but probably not nearly enough. The solution is to weight low poly meshes and replace subdiv modifiers with applications of the subdiv tool just before export (which will subdiv the weights quite nicely).

This is not an ideal workflow but it's what we're stuck with. (There's a thread somewhere (edit: now linked) where I bring this up and suggest that C3D allow the option of applying subdivs on export ... or something.)

Max allows you to weight vertices by dragging out capsules (inner and outer) around bones -- it's probably close to the ideal option for first-pass vertex weighting, but implementing such a sophisticated UI for vertex weighting would be a major undertaking (and there are far better things for Martin to do, I'm sure).

Last edited:
Back