Blurred reflections.

Blurred reflections.

I think that is the proper name? The renders people are doing with Vray and Max are pretty amazing and one constant is the blurred reflection. It allows a new level of realism to materials not achievable as far as I know with Cheetah.

IDR, what happens when you adjust the "angle" of
a reflection? The reflection seems blurred to me, but is there actually something else going on I don't know about?

Hi,
both is already possible with Cheetah3D. For blurred reflections use the angle property of the reflection material properties as onedaypro869 already said.

For light reflected by metal objects etc. use the caustics tag.

Bye,
Martin

Martin, I don't know if this is part of the same issue, but is there a way to get a 'brushed metal' effect, where the angle of reflection is different depending on which angle the light hits it?

As I understand it, the brushed finish is basically tiny parallel scratches on the surface of the metal which reflect the light more sharply in some directions than others... this also has the effect of stretching the highlights in one direction (see attached image).

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

- ROI

Attachments

• heals_cocktailset.gif
    heals_cocktailset.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 607
Hi,
anisotropic blurred reflections aren't supported yet but they will be added in the new material system.

Bye,
Martin

Hi ROI.
That is not too hard to achieve. You´ll just need a noisy texture with a motion blurr for the bump channel. Put in a fine HDRI (this one comes with Cheetah3d).

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• BrushedMetal2.jpg
    BrushedMetal2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Nice one Frank! BTW Martin, can you give some spoilers on when we can expect this new materialsystem? Can't wait to create milky glass (blurred transparency).

Regards,

Peter

Nice one Frank! BTW Martin, can you give some spoilers on when we can expect this new materialsystem? Can't wait to create milky glass (blurred transparency).

Hi Peter,
I'm actively working on the material system and I already made some quite nice progresses but that is a hugh project so it still might take some time. Especially since I'm working on texture baking and an area renderer in parallel.

Bye,
Martin

P.S. Very nice rendering Frank.:smile:

Hi ROI.
That is not too hard to achieve. You´ll just need a noisy texture with a motion blurr for the bump channel. Put in a fine HDRI (this one comes with Cheetah3d).

With kindest regards
Frank

Frank -- what settings & noise map did you use? I've been trying this on & off for the past year (to avoid the Angle setting -- slows things down), but it always comes out looking cack.

Hi,
a bump map will never be a full replacement of the angle property.

Version 4.2 accelerated rendering blurred reflections quite a lot compared to older version. Nevertheless blurred reflections will always be a quite expensive rendering effect.

Bye,
Martin

Back