More support for 'game' formats

More support for 'game' formats

As I use Cheetah3D for game development, something I miss is more support for animated formats outside .jas. Would be nice if there was support for .md3, .x or .md2.

Jaap

Heh -- I think I made an almost identical request a few months ago.

Cheetah 3d supports .fbx and has a completely seamless workflow to Unity 3d. I don't think it has a good workflow to Torque (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but ... I prefer Unity 3d.

The other file formats (.md* and .x) are really Windows game engine formats.

One day BlitzMax will have a 3d engine and it will probably support .b3d, .md*, and .x. (I believe MiniB3d supports .b3d at least.)

Note that .jas is human-readable xml, so writing you own converters shouldn't be too horrible.

If you're doing game development on the Mac, the only other file format option is probably (ugh) .3dmf which doesn't have animation support.

I develop in irrlicht, because it is reasonably workable for both windows and mac os x (altough not bug-free). It's also open source, so at least I can change/extend stuff. The bad thing is, it's quite low-level and has only a few formats supported with animation.

The other file formats (.md* and .x) are really Windows game engine formats.
.md* is maybe a bit braindamaged (especially .md2) but not limited to windows ;-)

One day BlitzMax will have a 3d engine and it will probably support .b3d, .md*, and .x. (I believe MiniB3d supports .b3d at least.)

Note that .jas is human-readable xml, so writing you own converters shouldn't be too horrible.

I've taken a peek into it indeed, and I need at least some docs to get something going there, especially the UV mapping seems nasty: coded as data field with some ascii packed format. Maybe after this project I'll take a more extensive look into it, but as usual, deadlines, deadlines, deadlines...

If you're doing game development on the Mac, the only other file format option is probably (ugh) .3dmf which doesn't have animation support.
irrlicht does support mac and has several animated mesh formats, as I said, at least .x, md2 and md3 and think there are a few extensions for other formats as well. The library does feel a bit hacked together at some points and designed with FPS in mind, altough I'm building something else with it.

You could probably get the UV mapping by exporting to .obj.

.md* is id's 3d format du jour -- and of course their engines all run on Macs. I think one of the later .md* formats has a text version -- you could probably get from C3D to that format pretty easily.

Irrlicht looks pretty nice for what it is -- it seems like the biggest bang for the buck would be (a) figure out how to leverage .fbx support into Irrlicht, or (b) find something cheap that converts .fbx into .X.

Last edited:
Hi,
.md2 is probably a little bit outdated thing it just supports morph animations.

.b3d supports skeletal animation, is documented and many game engines can read it so that would be probably me favorite.

Maybe also .ms3d.

Bye,
Martin

3D game formats are still very murky waters. They have been for years. It is pretty much impossible to pick one. The main criteria nowadays, in my opinion, is how skeletal animation is handled. Here are some other thoughts on specific formats:

.obj is still extremely popular for static geometry (of course, we already have that).

I'm not interested in 3dmf at all.

md2 is definitely dated, but the major strength there is that it is a fairly easy format to deal with and has *lots* of available documentation all over the place. md2 is still pretty popular with game programmers (non-pro), and is not a Windows-only format anymore than anything else is (id has traditionally been fairly platform agnostic where practical). As already noted, it does not do skeletal animation, but rather key-framed vertex interpolation animation, (`morph' animation for short). An md2 export in Cheetah3D would actually be welcome.

md5 would be even more welcome IMHO. md5 is the file format for Doom3. It's good stuff, and fairly straight-forward.

.x is designed to work with DirectX, which *is* most definitely Windows-specific. However, .x is actually a pretty nice format too, from what I've seen so far (which is not much, admittedly).

fbx appears to be gaining popularity. My only personal gripe is that I haven't been able to find much documentation on how to import stuff using fbx, other than using some cryptic (C++), and rather large (like ~50 MB last time I checked) library from Autodesk. I haven't looked carefully enough here though. If someone (Martin?) knows better, then I might be more willing to support fbx in general.

As it stands, my vote is md5

md5 is a very nice format ... it would be nice if id stopped completely changing formats from engine to engine though.

Back