Weld all verts within X units

Weld all verts within X units

I started a different thread about this but enough people agreed that I wanted to get it in the Wish List forum.

It would be great to be able to select an object and then have a command in Cheetah that would weld all vertices that are closer than X units to each other. This would be great for cleaning up meshes and optimizing a little.

I sometimes get stray polygons and vertices that are on top of each other in the object but they aren't welded so subdividing does weird things and so on.

i fully agree! we need it!
some kind of threshold would be nice, so that all selected points are looking for the nearest neighbour.
xyz (directions) would be helpful as additional variables...

Last edited:
it would have to be a selected point. otherwise how would the program figure out how to weld them together. take for example; 20 points all spaced .25 apart in a row. now you want to weld the entire group and your radius limit was .75 the problem pops up as to which points get moved to which other points. So the simple solution is to just select one point and move all within a certain radius of it. How useful would that kind of tool be?

Todd

it would have to be a selected point. otherwise how would the program figure out how to weld them together. ...
The program just averages their locations. After they're welded and you don't like the new location then you can move the new vertex to wherever you'd like. But you make a valid point though; there is an issue with vertex collapse causing undesirable distortions in certain cases. In a 3D editor it isn't much of a problem though since, as I said, you can just move it to be where you'd like it to be after the fact (or undo it of course). Not so easy for automatic tessellation algorithms, but that's another topic altogether.

it would have to be a selected point. otherwise how would the program figure out how to weld them together. take for example; 20 points all spaced .25 apart in a row. now you want to weld the entire group and your radius limit was .75 the problem pops up as to which points get moved to which other points. So the simple solution is to just select one point and move all within a certain radius of it. How useful would that kind of tool be?
That would be fine. Then, if you wanted to do what I originally suggested, you would just do a CMD+A to select them all before hitting the button.

My problem is more when I have verts that are almost right on top of each other or actually ARE right on top of each other. I have no way of finding them or clicking on them to weld them manually.

Hi Willem,
that is a feature we could talk about for the next update. It already had a high priority on my personal todo list.

Bye,
Martin

thanks Martin,

:-D
now I don't need to write a script to do it... I knew if I waited long enough it would be added.

Todd

Back