Extrude Edge? Build Edge? Wheel Arch Confusion

Hi there, I'm trying to create a wheel arch, the box model a car tutorial on YouTube is great, but the first stage is baffling me. I've been puzzling over it for ages hence asking if somebody is able to explain. I've added screenshots of the video.

I have similar setup, symmetry setup on planes. I'm in a similar situation I have the same two edges selected, but I can't see how I can set the 'rotation point' to the middle point between the two sides without it deselcting the edges. Also I'm unable to see where I can then build the new faces from the selected edges on rotation.

I get fully the principle of what's happening and why, I just can't figure what setting I should be using and process.

Is anybody able to help?

This is the link to the tutorial

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.25.09.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.25.09.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.24.45.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.24.45.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.24.28.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 13.24.28.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 14
The “Cover tool“ will generate (invisible) new edges on selected edges - which then will be visible by dragging or in this case rotating from the established pivot point via „gadget mode“.

Bless you Zoohead, it was great and helpful, without seeing that I would never had thought of using the cover and gadget combo, I'm now experimenting with all the other options and uses I can use for now. I must admit it has got me thinking "it would have been good for this..." and "it would have been good for that...".

You mean David Ellis right? Just asking because he didn’t mentioned in his YT channel And is still selling a car modelling tutorial on GumRoad.

Back