C3D 8b6 and b7 not using all processors when Render threads set to 0

gsb

Seasonal greetings to all,

I am starting a new thread for this observation as my earlier mention of it was in the Render-pauses thread. As that specific issue has now been fixed, I just re-tested to see if that fix addressed my observation.

The new beta did not change the observed behavior.

I tested two of my boxes, one a 16 core Intel 2019 Mac Pro running Ventura and the other an 8 core Intel 2019 Mac Book Pro running Sonoma.

I tested using 7.5.1, 8.0b6, and 8.0b7, all utilizing the Falcon renderer.

On both Sonoma and Ventura, with Render threads set at 0, C3D 7.5.1 saturates nearly 100 of the cores as expected.

On both Sonoma and Ventura (i.e. on the two different boxes), with Render threads set at 0, both C3D 8.0 b6 and b7 saturate only 50% of the processor cores. Not as expected.

On both Sonoma and Ventura, with Render threads set to 56, all three versions of C3D being tested saturate nearly 100 of the cores.

56 appears to be the maximum value for Render threads. Reducing this number “enough" does have the "expected" result of reducing the amount of processor resources used by C3D.

I’d appreciate it if anyone would try replicating this on their setup.

Thanks and cheers,
gsb

I'm sorry to hear that. I hoped the sleep mode thing form the other thread fixed all those problems. :( Unluckily I currently have no Intel Mac with Sonoma or Ventura so I couldn't test that configuration.

In theory a compute intensive task should use as many threads as there are logic cores available. That's what the threads=0 setting does. More threads usually make things slower since more threads are fighting for the same CPU resources.

But that was obviously the past. Apple meshed up power management with thread/process priorities in a single API which is really confusing if not buggy.

I have an idea to give Cheetah3D an even higher task priority. Could you test this Beta for me.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hoped the sleep mode thing form the other thread fixed all those problems. :( Unluckily I currently have no Intel Mac with Sonoma or Ventura so I couldn't test that configuration.

In theory a compute intensive task should use as many threads as there are logic cores available. That's what the threads=0 setting does. More threads usually make things slower since more threads are fighting for the same CPU resources.

But that was obviously the past. Apple meshed up power management with thread/process priorities in a single API which is really confusing if not buggy.

I have an idea to give Cheetah3D an even higher task priority. Could you test this Beta for me.
Hello, be glad to. 👍🏼
Thanks,
gsb

Back