Rusty in C3D - Make Poly out of 4 points

Hi,

I have played around with C3D to make sure I "remember what I need".

I have cut away a part of a box and want to add a poly to the box on the 4 selected reds in the image. I expected FILL to work when you have 4 selected points?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 13.59.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 13.59.45.png
    318 KB · Views: 81
Fill Hole and Create Polygon will both work. Because of the complex nGon Fill Hole will not show up till you scalpel in some necessary edges: Create Polyon/Quad Strip needs to established counter clockwise to maintain Normals out:
Fillhole.gif
QuadStrip.gif

Hope it is ok to ask some other related Qs: All worked great but I also want to select a Poly and "split it up in 8 pieces going X". What is the fastest route for this please?

Would it be to "disconnect" (SPLIT) the selected poly and divide the size X by 8 and then connect back?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 14.50.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 14.50.48.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Seems it worked but has to be a faster way.. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 15.02.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 15.02.06.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 15.11.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 15.11.45.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 73
I can´t get a gif within 500KB limit on this.
Delete what´s red in your screenshot and "Optimize" to get rid of extra vertices. Go in edge-mode and select the top edge loop of the 8 polys - go Polygon->Cover - with enabled Snapping to Component drag it down (Y-axis) till it snaps into place - call "Optimize" again.
Another method is to simply copy&paste a poly-strip and place it via snapping - optimize - done.
Cover.gif

Copy&Paste.gif

Last edited:
:unsure: More JAM / Marmalade:
* A Ring Cut on an orthogonal polygon will place the cut in the middle if you drag the mouse a bit away after the click.
* As a result, if you need to divide a poly into 2^n (2, 4, 8 ... 1024...) sections, this is quite trivial.
* For other sub-selections, there is a handy Java script, which lets you split an edge into a random number of subsections by placing anchor points along the edge. You need to use this tool on the opposite edges and deploy the Scalpel Tool to connect relevant points.
* This tool also operates on multiple selected edges. Great to selectively fine-tune meshes on a tricky surface!
* This may be called Edge n Splitter (a script in the tools folder), but I sometimes rename JSs, so it may be found under a different name.

:mad: PS / Correction:
The referenced JS also works on non-orthohogonal polys. It is edge baed and does not care about the rest of the mesh.

Wow guys no words. You all are awesome and the reason I left all other modelling sw for C3D. Will continue tomorrow testing them all. Thank you so much!!! 🤩

Back