Bug report: Quantize does nothing with the extrude tool.

Hi Martin, and fellow Cheetah 3D users

Using the latest beta of Cheetah 3D (8.0b6). I am trying to extrude faces by an exact amount.
My understanding of the extrude tool is that you do this with the "quantize" value in the tool.
This value does nothing for me however. The tool seems to always extrude the same (very tiny) amount.
Can anyone else confirm?

Hello,

I rarely use the Extrude tool, so I can’t offer any functioning comparison with previous versions…

With that said, just now I tried extruding with b6. I set a Quantize value and “moved” the surface-to-be-extruded. The resulting extrusion amount matched the Quantize value.

cheers,
gsb

GSB and ZooHead both had the right answer though I found their wording confusing. You have to click AND drag on the surface to be extruded with the extrude tool, and then it will match the Quantize value. If you click without dragging, it extrudes some default small amount which does not reflect the quantize value, and seams to be somewhat arbitrary depending on the size of the surface. I double checked the documentation and it seems like the intended behavior. You click and drag to the right for positive extrusion, left for negative. I must have skimmed over that critical sentence in the documentation. Now that I know how it works its fine, though I think it would be more intuitive to extrude to the quantize value on a click, and an arbitrary adjustable value on a click/drag.

Hello,

Apologies for any confusion. Not sure what was confusing, but I’m guessing it was my use of the verb “move”. I did intend to convey click to select and drag to move.

cheers,
gsb

@gsb I had been using the "normal move" tool as a workaround after I did a click extrusion so I thought maybe you meant that at first. Quantize does work with "normal move" on a single click of the "apply" button. Maybe the extrude tool needs a similar "apply" button for consistency of interface? Zoohead's word "scrubbing" to me is an action of moving through time, not mouse motion so I found that confusing. I can be very literal sometimes. :) I realize that you were both trying to give me the same solution though, and between the two of you I figured it out. Thank you! -Mat

Back