Attempt at Modelling a Fishing Boat

Hi

This is my first attempt at modelling a fishing boat.
It's better than I was expecting for my first attempt, but not what I was hoping for.

I'm not after a super detailed model; just a simple looking boat with the hull, deck and wheelhouse; nothing cartoony looking. Does anyone have any tips on the best way of modelling this? Various renders, mostly from the rear will be used to explain boat stability, changes in centres of gravity, etc.

I have spent around three hours so far, so I know my approach is not the best, and my hull is a bit lumpy. Any clues as to the easiest way to model this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

P.S. I tried uploading one zip file with all the blueprints and it was too large, so I have split the zip file in two.
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 4.34.47 PM.jpg
boat.jpg

Attachments

• Boat and some blueprints.zip
    467.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Other blueprints.zip
    206.9 KB · Views: 87
You did a great job whatever method you used.

You had one n-gon that I turned into a triangle, and I added
Subdivision and Shell Modifiers plus adding some Ring Cuts.
I also used Point Slide as well as Normal Move on some Edges,
Points and polygons to smooth any lumpiness.

Nice start, should come out looking good.

Fishing Boat zhd.jpg

Attachments

• Fishing Boat zhd jas.zip
    37.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Another tip: Always check your scale with a Parametric Object.
If the model fits inside then it may be too small. Scale it up!

Scale it Up.jpg

You did a great job whatever method you used.

You had one n-gon that I turned into a triangle, and I added
Subdivision and Shell Modifiers plus adding some Ring Cuts.
I also used Point Slide as well as Normal Move on some Edges,
Points and polygons to smooth any lumpiness.

Nice start, should come out looking good.
Thanks Eric for your kind words. This looks amazing. It's good to know I'm on the right track. I was about to start again. I also used point slide thanks to you showing me in the previous project.

Just downloaded your file to take a close look at what you did, but it was my original file; not the file you modified. Any chance of seeing your updated file?

Another tip: Always check your scale with a Parametric Object.
If the model fits inside then it may be too small. Scale it up!
Great tip, thanks Eric. This was first serious attempt at using the blueprint functionality, and towards the end I was running into problems with the symmetry tool and the keel because the points were wanting to snap and collapse the keel to a two dimensional plane when using the symmetry modifier. Now I know to scale up the blueprint before modelling.

Thanks Eric for your kind words. This looks amazing. It's good to know I'm on the right track. I was about to start again. I also used point slide thanks to you showing me in the previous project.

Just downloaded your file to take a close look at what you did, but it was my original file; not the file you modified. Any chance of seeing your updated file?
Sorry about that. This model has a bit more work done to it.

Attachments

• Fishing Boat zhd jas.zip
    37.7 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Eric. I too have been working on it. The horizontal planes in the images below are purely to set up some levels. I do have another issue I can't figure out, so I have attached the model. The two centre windows on the front of the boat tend to merge into one odd window when the symmetry modifier is applied.

Thanks so much for your help and the latest file. I'm about to have a have a look at it.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 10.21.11 AM.png
Boat update.jpg

Attachments

• Fishing Boat 02.jas.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 94
I do have another issue I can't figure out, so I have attached the model. The two centre windows on the front of the boat tend to merge into one odd window when the symmetry modifier is applied.
Change the Attraction Radius of the Symmetry Modifier to .001

I think I need a break from this and to start again at a larger scale, perhaps taking a different approach. I did scale it up, but still had issues. I'll try again. Each time I try, I learn a bit more.

Back