Searching for an old thread on Cubism

* A long time - quite a few years - ago, a C3D user published in this forum a short video / GIF (?) on cubism / deconstruction. The take started with a human face, shown in conventional topology. This face was then deconstructed / split into a set of 2D irregular panels which were “randomly” reassembled. The final result was a Picassoesque portrait, combining different aspects of the 3D object in a cubist 2D image.
* I believe that the original poster may have been Frank Beckmann. In any case, I can not find this in the archives.
* Is this old thread still (copyright vio?) available?
* Thank you for any help!

Does it has probably something to do with "morphing"? I can't find anything on Google by your terms with a site:www.cheetah3d search. Except the very old Jekyll&Hyde thread from 2007. So it's perhaps by another user.

* Thank you for looking, but it was not the Jekyll & Hyde posting. The thread I am looking for may have been on something else altogether and you (or whoever) added the short video as a tangential reference. I remember absolutely nothing about this thread except the very short and very creative video included. Searching for Cubism / Picasso / (and related search strings) shows up nothing, so I guess there were no relevant comments to the painterly context (or the search does not cover this period).
* From my dim and hazy memory, the video did not deal with morphing as such. It was more a fragmentation of a mesh, followed by some shuffling around, terminating in a re-assembly to form a somewhat humanoid face. It was a subtle and oddly moving record of a person breaking up and becoming a misfit.
* Googling with site:www.cheetah3d.com gets me nowhere, either.
* Bad luck, but thank you for searching.

Mmh - "fragmentation" sounds like the Explosion script (2007) of Hiroto could be used. Still no luck. I noticed some of the old example videos are gone forever.

* I was not looking for any C3D solution on fragmenting / splitting an existing mesh. This has to be done manually and fine-tuned, anyway (or so I currently think).
* I primarily wanted to view the video mentioned, as (in my dim memory) the designer had achieved with sparse tooling of the topology the maximum effect of alienating a viewer´s perception between frame 1 and frame 300 or whatever.

* Actually, there is a series of Picasso´s sketches available where he graphically analyses his fragmentation on the sample of a bull´s body. Admittedly, not very useful. Picasso by numbers may be for AI.

:sick: I guess that the old video has been lost to Nirvana.

Hi Helmut, videos are mostly just a link to Youtube ore some other portals, so maybe you've a chance to find it there?
Now I'm also interested what you've seen there! ;)

Good luck

* I spent some hours searching for this dimly remembered video in the C3D forum and YouTube without any success. I give up...

* Rather surprising is the fact that I found no similar experiment on YouTube. I would have thought that deconstructing a face, transforming the components and re-assembling the bits (eyes, nose, cheeks, mouth, jaw, etc) to simulate Cubism is hardly a stunningly original creative idea.
* Apart from the Picassoesque "language" I also work on similar experiments based on Francis Bacon and Jean-Michel Basquiat using their - totally different - methods of "shape shifting" conventional 3D reality. This is just Kafka´s Metamorphosis where Gregor Samsa morphs into painters from Andalusia, Dublin, NYC and possibly a few more.
* In any case, sorry @3DSimulant (;) und Servus aus Wien), I have no idea where this video has gone. Frank B may be right in his comment that old links have been deleted when the provider of the forum SW was replaced some time ago.

Back