UV too large for UV window

The problem is the UV doesn't fit in the UV window.
I do not want to loose the ability to adjust the spline but I want a UV map so I can texture the object.
any Ideas?
Thanks guys.
UV-Fit.jpg

I believe you can do it, but you can't address the polygons directly when
using a Spline/Extrude because they don't exist till you make it editable.

There are UVs created in this situation though, and you can indirectly manipulate the UV/Image relationship by editing the Spline.

Can you upload a file with the object in question and the image you want to apply and I'll show how I would do it.

No question you can stretch a texture over the whole object - but if he wants a continuous image texture on that zigzag paper it needs to fit inside the UV square.

Here I'm working with a straight Spline line Length 5, Segments 5, Extruded .5.
Image is same aspect ratio, yet I still need to scale the length in Cheetah to make it fit.

Long Image Test.jpg

If you want to determine the proportions of the extruded spline you can do this with the help of the Chain Creator. Add a duplicate of the spline and a 0.1x0.1 plane to it and multiply it as much as will fit along the path. The number minus 2 half units from the beginning and the end multiplied by the plane unit gives the total length. You have set the depth at the Extrude creator and so both numbers give the ratios of the texture. Customised size and placement (Position/Scale) is still necessary, but easier:
SplineUVsProportions.jpg

Back