Topological Evolution

:unsure: Is there a method - it can be quite complex and laborious - to morph individual meshes to show an evolutionary transition? I would want to show the morphological changes of the skull from a humanoid, somewhat simian, topology to the general current shape of "modern" Homo Sapiens.
* I have experimented with some back-engineering, based on an evolutionary cerebral rig to show protruding brow ridges, changes in the prognathism of maxilla / mandibula, cerebral volume, etc but that simply does not work. Possibly because my rig is too simple.
* Currently I have 4 stages: Australopithecus > Homo Habilis > Homo Erectus > Homo Sapiens.

:) Thank you for any ideas!
:sick: I know this took some 4 million years in real time, so there is no hurry.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 17.45.45.png

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 17.52.20.png

The "morph-tag" + Brush tool comes to mind - but it requires the same amount of polygons for the whole process and you might need to start with the complex shape and work towards the simpler one - and jaw bone/no jaw bones won´t work in an easy way.

Last edited:
Technically it could be done, you would have to sculpt your way through each form, adding each to the Morph Tag.

You could use the other models as a guide using snap to surface.

browgrow.gif

:) Thank you, Frank and ZooHead! I have not used the morph tag / brush tool with any expertise, but present experiments seem to indicate that this should largely solve my problems.
* I need to develop some plan to divide the skull into cranial and facial substructures to mirror the evolution of specific areas (brow ridges, cheek bone, jaw bone, etc) and divide that into 3 or 4 stages. As expected, laborious, time consuming and fiddly stuff.
* On the other hand, I will learn a few important tricks for shape shifting, should I ever decide on instant cosmetic surgery. However, starting a new species at the Biblical age of 3 score and ten and a bit (incremented annually) may result in fairly instant extinction...

:sick: Meanwhile, back to aunty Google to check photos of my extinct relatives from Africa. They definitely Rest In many minute Pieces!

Thank you for the ideas.

Back