Cheetah3D 8.0 Public Beta 3

Hi,
here is the last Beta of this year;) It only fixes some bugs so there is still some work ahead to finalise v8. But feedback of the first public beta was actually quite positive and only a few serious problems (crashes) were reported. Unluckily I'm still fighting with me to regain some traction and finish the last missing features. Maybe 2023 will be better.

I want to wish you all a Happy New Year and a great 2023!!!

Kind regards
Martin

Change log:
-fixed clipping problem (near clipping can't be set to 0 anymore)
-fixed display problems of pose tag
-fixed display problems in morph tag
-fixed display problems in skeleton tag
-fixed copy&paste bug in key editor
-fixed copy&paste bug in F-Curve editor
-fixed copy&paste bug in timeline
-fixed copy&paste bug in vertex, edge, polygon
-fixed scrolling bug in "About Cheetah3D" window
-extends the beta period until March 2023

System requirements:
-Intel or Apple Silicon CPU
-Intel, AMD or Apple GPU
-macOS 10.15.7 or better

Attention:
THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE. USE THE SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND DON'T USE IT ON ANY IMPORTANT DATA.

You can download the Cheetah3D 8 Public Beta 3 at:

Hello, I export animation in Prores4444 on v7 and v8.
I have noise on v8. See picture.
ExportV7.jpg
ExportV8.jpg

Happy New Year Martin and good luck.
I hope 2023 will be better, we have to hold on for us ;).
Thanks again for all this work.

Hi robsil.
Are you sure your Mac is compatible with v8?
I´m not able to recreate this: put 3 glass panes in a row and Cheetah and Falcon are doing well: Rendered animation and saved with ProPres4444 Codec on M1Mac:
StackedGlassPanes.png

Last edited:
Hi Martin, thanks for the new beta!
I see this bug still exists. Its just the default HDRI and adjust the Clip Near value >>
Clip-Near-v8b3-bug-1.jpg

This is using an Mac Studio and macOS v13.1

If you need other info, just let me know.
-- Shift Studio.

The scene
Thanks for the scene. I've rendered it on my M1 and Ventura and everything looked normal. But I didn't have your HDRI image so I had to replace it with one of mine.

Do you also get these problems with the Cheetah3D bundled HDRI textures?

Hi Martin, thanks for the new beta!
I see this bug still exists. Its just the default HDRI and adjust the Clip Near value >>
View attachment 39068

This is using an Mac Studio and macOS v13.1

If you need other info, just let me know.
-- Shift Studio.

Thanks for the tip. I just had a look at the "Clip Near = 0" case. I completely oversaw that it also fails at bigger values.:oops:

But I was able to track down the problem and I'm quite optimistic that my next attempt fix will be way more stable. :)

Just tried it on my trusty, almost 5 year old iMac Pro (8-core, Vega 64 16GB, 64 GB RAM). This means I can't say anything about Apple Silicon support. But it's the first time I'm trying the new Metal viewport.

It's definitely way faster!

I just opened this planet that I made (it's all pretty much procedural by the way).

The tessellation I did on the planet surface and 2 million asteroids via particles completely killed the preview in Cheetah3D 7 (this is why I added "DO NOT ENABLE IN VIEWPORT!" to the name of the planet and also hid the asteroids.) Overall, we're talking about near 80 million vertices in the viewport here. 24 vertices per asteroid and the tessellated planet has around 32 million. At least in Cheetah 3D 8 I can still use the application after enabling everything (it's still 2 fps but much better than everything essentially freezing in Cheetah 3D 7, requiring me to kill the app).

This is a massive improvement!

RAM usage according to iStat menus is around 17.5 GB in the preview only and 25.2 GB when rendering a 3840x2160 image using Falcon. that hasn't changed much.

Only issues with this are the strange "shade" visible in the viewport. I don't know what Cheetah 3D 7 makes of that (since just freezes when I try to preview this) but it's not supposed to be there. Also, the "PreviewPlanet" material isn't previewed anymore, might also be because it's hidden in the transparency of my "atmosphere" that was transparent in the Cheetah 3D 7 viewport.

EDIT: I can confirm that the atmosphere is no longer transparent in the Cheetah 3D 8 viewport. Looks fine when I hide it.
Also, I think the viewport can't handle the extreme tessellation. Once I hit certain tessellation (I'm using catmull-clark with 5 interactions on it for the displacement) it creates this "cap".

(I think I mentioned this before, but this workflow would be better if we could set different values for properties like tessellation or particle amount for viewport and render).

With the 32m planet only I get over 30 fps In the viewport! 1.5m polygons already got that same machine to 30 fps in Cheetah 3D 7. This means that Metal can handle over 20x the polycount. Very nice!

Attachments

• small screenshot.jpg
    small screenshot.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 5 iterations.jpg
    5 iterations.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 4 iterations.jpg
    4 iterations.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 150
  • planet_with_atmosphere.jpg
    planet_with_atmosphere.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I have been using V8 Beta 3 and have seen that the wirefame preview when using a Particle Array does not display correctly. It only displays the 1 element and not the whole array.

Attachments

• PODS.jpg
    PODS.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 137
  • PODS_Wireframe.jpg
    PODS_Wireframe.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 131
Back