Labels on One mesh

Can someone steer me towards a direction as to how I can have one mesh (bottle) with a plastic material and a label applied to that material. Not using selections sets. Perhaps utilizing an alpha channel. I'd like a how to tutorial of sorts.

Select the polygons where the label should go - copy&paste - Normal move a tiny bit to separate the polygons from the bottle not to confuse the render engine. UV unwrap the polygons - scale&move (invert selection to move all other polys from the UV template), save to PDF. Load PDF in an design app of your choice - create your label and export the square image as PNG or TIF incl alpha channel - most likely you need to flip the resulting image horizontally+vertically. I guess you know how to create new materials - don´t forget to utilize the alpha channel and set the IoR to 1 and the light source shadow type needs to be "Raytrace+trans".

Can someone steer me towards a direction as to how I can have one mesh (bottle) with a plastic material and a label applied to that material. Not using selections sets. Perhaps utilizing an alpha channel. I'd like a how to tutorial of sorts.
Is it a paper label or a transparent plastic label or is it maybe silk screened?

Select the polygons where the label should go - copy&paste - Normal move a tiny bit to separate the polygons from the bottle not to confuse the render engine. UV unwrap the polygons - scale&move (invert selection to move all other polys from the UV template), save to PDF. Load PDF in an design app of your choice - create your label and export the square image as PNG or TIF incl alpha channel - most likely you need to flip the resulting image horizontally+vertically. I guess you know how to create new materials - don´t forget to utilize the alpha channel and set the IoR to 1 and the light source shadow type needs to be "Raytrace+trans".
Can I send you my .jas file?

If you want to simulate a silk screened label you could use this method.
No alpha and no unwrapping needed but you do need to use
the UV Mapper set to Mapping Type: Cylindrical.

Only select the outer polygons of the bottle to map the label.
You need two versions of the material, one with the label image, and one without.

Water Bottle Mat comp.jpg

Water Label preview.jpg

Water Bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Back