Bubble Glass Bowl

I found this very heavy candy dish that belonged
to my parents and I had to make a model of it.

The base has an array of bubbles trapped inside.
Rendered with the Cheetah renderer.

Bubble candy dish.jpg

:oops: Quite surprising! I deduct from the #1 image that whoever recorded this image is invisible in convex reflections.
:sick: No wonder them folks are called Mainiacs...

@ZooHead , is it possible to randomize the position of the bubbles in glass?
They appear to be on a grid. (or maybe they are in real life?)

They are in real life on a loose grid more like effervescent bubbles in soda.
I tried to keep it very close to real except for the number of bubbles, the real one has more.

From the look I wonder if you messed up with the normals somehow. The normals of the air-bubbles should point inside:
GlasBowl unnormal@0.5x.jpg

When the particle system is used the "Particle-tag" can randomize properties of elements used.

Last edited:
:unsure: I don't know, that is strange. I thought it was how a big glass blob would look but...
Refraction is set to 1.5.

Here's a side wire view.

BBowlsidewire.jpg

I thought you have that object in front of you. I will alter my attempt by adding the top part and see if this somehow will hide the inside. Maybe a part of texture treatment is causing this. Not sure - but I still expect seeing the bottom while looking at it. Is the top a different/separate object or is there a gradient used for the "smoke" effect?

Ok - main difference and impact is of course the used HDRI - yours seems a studio set up while mine is some industrial environmental; one piece of glass, dielectric shader with light greenish to dark gray tint gradient shading:
GlasBowlAirBubbles.jpg

Ok - main difference and impact is of course the used HDRI - yours seems a studio set up while mine is some industrial environmental; one piece of glass, dielectric shader with light greenish to dark gray tint gradient shading:
You're spot on regarding the HDRI.

Back