How does Layer ID, Object ID, Material ID work?

If I switch on material ID by the rendering of different materials don't appear but there is blank white area instead.
What are they functions?

I thought that this function create the ID mask of the objects/materials/layers.
What are they functions?

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2021-11-20 - 13.07.26.jpg
    Képernyőfotó 2021-11-20 - 13.07.26.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 166
Sure - 16/32bit makes it only into exr/hdr and additional IDs are just in exr maintained - though tiff could handle 16/32bit color depth.

If I render more material and Mat ID is turned on, only one white mask layer can be seen on the rendered picture.
Does it work different way, then in maya3d? What is the material ID for?

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2021-11-20 - 17.43.50.jpg
    Képernyőfotó 2021-11-20 - 17.43.50.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 159
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 181
As the attachments above shows the layers I may ask where do you check the saved exr files?
You need to enable "G-Buffer" and "Z-Buffer" to be able to save to "exr/hdr" file formats:
GBuffer.jpeg

Last edited:
I have no idea how it works in Maya - should I know? I still don't get what you want to achieve with this function. I only was able to get kind of a scene mask when using a HDRI as light-source for example.

If there are more materials in the scene, will the materials appear separately in the G-buffer?
Every material will get a different colour in the same layer (apparently unrelated to the base colour).
Open the exported render.exr in a layer-based image-app, chose the material ID layer and select same colour of the material you want to make a mask specific for that material.
Then you can work on those parts of the image that show objects with that material.

I have no idea how it works in Maya - should I know? I still don't get what you want to achieve with this function. I only was able to get kind of a scene mask when using a HDRI as light-source for example.
i was just wondering what channels are rendered with the G-buffer ID switches. If I render several different materials, how do the different materials appear on the Material ID channel? Or if there are multiple layers in the render, will they appear separately on the layer ID channel? or what is the function of these switches? I want to understand the purpose of these switches.

Every material will get a different colour in the same layer (apparently unrelated to the base colour).
Open the exported render.exr in a layer-based image-app, chose the material ID layer and select same colour of the material you want to make a mask specific for that material.
Then you can work on those parts of the image that show objects with that material.
it doesn't work that way on my machine. could you give me an example?

A very simple setup with three materials from the library:
screenshot.jpg
After exporting to exr, in Photoshop I get this in the material ID layer:
Untitled.jpg
Each material got its own colour (perhaps assigned randomly).

Now in Affinity Photo, which I just bought with black Friday rebate, the layer content is all white :unsure:
I will have to acquaint myself with this app first obviously...

Back