Cheetah crashing with basic polygon operations

Hello all,

This may be a hard to diagnose but I'm a bit stumped.

I am currently working on an ambitious project which requires a lot of poly modeling and every time I do simple polygon operations such as extrudes and translation (of individual or grouped polygons) the whole program locks up and crashes. I am also unable to select these problematic objects in the viewport even when I engage the select tool and am in object mode. I had none of these issues on the previous version of Cheetah I had (which was a few years old - maybe a 2018 version), but I am having all sorts of these oddball problems now on 7.5.1 and am currently running it on Mojave.

I am curious if anybody has any suggestions or has encountered similar issues. I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Perhaps I need to do a complete OS update or just reinstall the software.

Thanks,

MMounteer

Hi.
Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. I can't really understand this behavior unless I run the risk of needing too much RAM which my Mac can´t offer. Have you checked with Activity.app in this regards already to see if you run out of memory and Cheetah3d is swapping bits&bytes to HD which can of course mean a strong slowdown?

I'm running Cheetah on the new M1 chip 16GB memory mini-mac in Monterey. Cheetah is handling so much better. The key-framing feature is no longer crashing the app when I have auto-keying + key-hierarchy selected! My advice is upgrade to newer hardware if you can afford the expense.

Hi.
Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. I can't really understand this behavior unless I run the risk of needing too much RAM which my Mac can´t offer. Have you checked with Activity.app in this regards already to see if you run out of memory and Cheetah3d is swapping bits&bytes to HD which can of course mean a strong slowdown?
Hi frank,

Thanks so much for your reply. I never consdiered
Hi.
Hi frank,

I did try checking the Activity Monitor and I couldn't see much that was wrong. I did have chrome running with a lot of tabs and noticed when I closed chrome one of the bugs disappeared (I was able to select the problematic objects in the viewport). But then when I closed and reopened Cheetah, the same problems still occurred. I know Chrome is heavy on memory so perhaps I should start using Safari for web browsing or try a reinstall of Cheetah. I am also running the projects from an external HD that has had a few issues in the past when it comes to false eject notifications.
I'm running Cheetah on the new M1 chip 16GB memory mini-mac in Monterey. Cheetah is handling so much better. The key-framing feature is no longer crashing the app when I have auto-keying + key-hierarchy selected! My advice is upgrade to newer hardware if you can afford the expense.
Okay interesting. I also have a new M1 machine but haven't really tried running Cheetah on it. I have had other software (looking at you Autodesk) crash horribly on Rosetta. How is your experience with Cheetah on the Apple Silicon machine?

Last edited:
Thanks for the file.
Ok - runs smoothly on BigSur/M1.
First I noticed by checking info was the discrepancy about polygon and vertex count and here´s the reason why:
PointsPointsPoints.png

That shouldn´t be a cause for the issue you´re having. Nonetheless try "Optimize-tool" to get rid of unwanted points by "Remove unused vertices" and see if this already helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the file.
Ok - runs smoothly on BigSur/M1.
First I noticed by checking info was the discrepancy about polygon and vertex count and here´s the reason why:
View attachment 37789
That shouldn´t be a cause for the issue you´re having. Nonetheless try "Optimize-tool" to get rid of unwanted points by "Remove unused vertices" and see if this already helps.
Hi frank,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that the "Optimize-tool" did that - super helpful because I do this a lot in modeling. I attempted to perform an inner extrude operation on a few lanes of this geometry after removing the unused vertices and it caused a crash. Just for a visual, this is what I tried doing:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 12.33.00 PM.png

The program is stuck at this point and I just have the spinning rainbow circle of doom.

Thanks again for your help troubleshooting. This just seems like kind of a strange glitch and again pretty hard to diagnose.

Did you check in point mode unused vertices? And the object isn´t anymore in 1:1:1 scale which can+must be corrected with Tools.>Coord system. Not saying this is causing any issues here.
Innerxtrude.gif

I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with your object - but this is how I would approach it without any subdiv-modifier:
Entry gate.png

Attachments

• Problematic scene 4U.jas.zip
    99.5 KB · Views: 153
Hi Frank, I did end up checking unused vertices as well but did not know about the 1:1:1 scale, I'm assuming this is something I should be doing fairly often.

As for the problems, I have reduced my Google Chrome tabs which eats memory like crazy and things seem to running more smooth in Cheetah. I may just have to move my workflow over to the M1 machine which I'm certainly not opposed to. I'll post back later if anything else happens. Thanks so much for your help and insight, I really appreciate it.

Frank, for some reason my image doesn't show in the UV editor. It's been like that for a while. Even after downloading different versions of Cheetah. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Yep - hit the "Edit" button at the image loader is the way to go.
How is the "bus" generated? Looks like a draw-to-3dshape app like Archipelis Designer.

Photogrammetry. Using Apple's Object capture API. I had an issue with the texture and was going to try and use Cheetah3D for some posting editing. BTW, I'm trying to use Cheetah a bit more now. Particularly with UV editing. I wanted to play with Paint and use sidecar on my iPad Pro ... because I have an Apple Pencil & thought it would be nice to do painting on the iPad with pencil instead of a mouse. To paint you have to left hold. I can't find anything on sidecar-iPad to emulate that... has anyone got a pencil to work like that in Cheetah?

Back