How do I make a mirror copy of a complex model?

:devilish: The Quick&Dirty method is:
* Copy / paste / move the entire group / folder
* Flip the relevant scale, mostly X or Z to -1, ie negative.

Mirror 1.png

Helmut´s quick+dirty way will flip the normals of all included polygons - so if the textures have a noticeable direction it will be mirrored too. The renderer won't take care but the OpenGl preview will when "Light Both Sides" is off.
When it's something simple like above the Symmetry-modifier/creators will do of course - when it's for a grouped scenery I recommend the use of a script like "Mirror copy" (it will just mirror one object at the time and you have to drag the material manually back - but it works though)
There's another script called "Referenced Particles" which should do as well - but I can't get the mirroring right - it works with groups. And there's an explicit polygon tool called "Mirror" which works per object; the copy will be added to the original and you have to make sure the origin stays out of XYZ=0 otherwise it will be melted into one like Jeff Goldblum and the fly.
So it most likely depends on your model hierarchy.

Also, Helmut's method is good if you want keep objects parametric.
Otherwise you must make the model editable.

The Mirror Tool that @EllenM mentioned is great but the copy is right up against the original and is welded to it.
This is good if you have half a model, but what if it's a full model you don't want welded to a copy.
The trick is to copy and paste one point, then move that point to the half way point between the original and the copy.
Then change to Polygon Mode and mirror on that point. Remember to delete the stray point when you're done.

The Mirror Tool that @EllenM mentioned is great but the copy is right up against the original and is welded to it.
That's why I said to move it away from XYZ=0 ;)
Move the object away from XYZ=0 and burn transform or use pivot and use Coordinate system.: World of the Mirror tool.
Mirror.gif

A complex "parametric"model would be nice to see.

Last edited:
How do I make a mirror copy of a complex model?
I moved the model away from center, saved the file as an .stl, so, no layers. I relaunched and added a symmetry modifier. I then saved the file as an .stl again, relaunched and deleted the original model, then moved the file where the other was at center.

I moved the model away from center, saved the file as an .stl, so, no layers. I relaunched and added a symmetry modifier. I then saved the file as an .stl again, relaunched and deleted the original model, then moved the file where the other was at center.
To be honest, this is how I have done it, but I usually copy the model into a temp document instead of saving a duplicate. I like Ellen's latest mirror post best, so far.

Back