experimental - Polygon Reduction.js

It´s already there linked beneath the image:mrgreen:
But it´s just a quick hack.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks -- I downloaded it, but it seemed to be my original file. Maybe I got confused, I'll try again. Your quick hack looks good to me!

As for the script, it seems that HeapPop() is only called by MinimumCostEdge(), which is itself only called by ComputeProgressiveMesh(). I'll try to move the code up a couple of functions and see if it sheds any more light on the error.

I downloaded it, but it seemed to be my original file.

Have a second look :cool:
Seems I uploaded the wrong zip file. Sorry.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Helmets.jpg
    Helmets.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 849
  • Head4U.jas.zip
    32.7 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
hi,

that error occur when some points share same positions, I guess. so, after executing optimize (with weld close vertices), it will not occur.
I just update the script. ( if heap val is null, stop calculation at that loop. please check the code. )

please download again, and check it. it seems to work fine.

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/blog/files/article.php?id=24

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Hi Hiroto,

I tried your script and it works great! I took a 21,120 polygon model got him down to 7,779. With a little work I was able to bring the model's polygon count to 2,405. For game modeling this is an indispensable tool!:icon_thumbup:

Dave

Hi there, is this one broken again?
Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-20 at 5.05.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-20 at 5.05.39 PM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 584
Working great Hiroto :icon_thumbup:

I'm glad, this a one of a few totally essential scripts that adds a great deal to cheetahs capabilities.

Thanks again.
Best wishes

AaronC

Apply, and then?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Cheetah3D, so this might fall under RTFM...

When you have run the script and hit Apply.. then what? How do I get/save/use the new polygon reduced object? I want to get rid of the the original object as it is messy from various boolean operations.

And thanks for a great product! Really takes the pain out of modelling.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Cheetah3D, so this might fall under RTFM...

When you have run the script and hit Apply.. then what? How do I get/save/use the new polygon reduced object? I want to get rid of the the original object as it is messy from various boolean operations.
The "boolean-reduc.0.XXX" object will be generated at the same place - so either delete your original object or make it unvisible via "mode-icon".

And thanks for a great product! Really takes the pain out of modelling.
Agreed - but why you´re using Boolean operations then? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Frank

The "boolean-reduc.0.XXX" object will be generated at the same place - so either delete your original object or make it unvisible via "mode-icon".

Agreed - but why you´re using Boolean operations then? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Frank

Yes, I get that reduc.0.XXX object, but I cannot delete the original object - everything disappears. "mode-icon" also does not compute for me. I must be missing something very basic.

For example, if I want to reduce a ball like podperson did in http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383&page=2

How do I do it? I want to be able to save the reduced ball as a new object. I'm beginning to feel so stupid :)

If you saw why I used boolean operators, you would probably come and visit me and hit me with the stupid-stick...

Yes, I get that reduc.0.XXX object, but I cannot delete the original object - everything disappears. "mode-icon" also does not compute for me. I must be missing something very basic.
Select it in the object browser and hit backspace - gone.
If you saw why I used boolean operators, you would probably come and visit me and hit me with the stupid-stick...
Yes - for sure. Lets have a try - post a screenshot and learn something new. :)

Cheers
Frank

Select it in the object browser and hit backspace - gone.

Yes - for sure. Lets have a try - post a screenshot and learn something new. :)

Cheers
Frank

Yes, but when I delete the object nothing is left, just that reduc.0.XXX. I must be having them in wrong order or have the wrong selection or something when I invoke the script.

Regarding the polygon-obese model. 2 boxes + boolean, then 4 cylinders + boolean. Maybe I did something wrong to get into that mess, but I figured that reducing polygons would be nice trick to know.

Attachments

• messy.png
    messy.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 504
Yes, but when I delete the object nothing is left, just that reduc.0.XXX. I must be having them in wrong order or have the wrong selection or something when I invoke the script.

Regarding the polygon-obese model. 2 boxes + boolean, then 4 cylinders + boolean. Maybe I did something wrong to get into that mess, but I figured that reducing polygons would be nice trick to know.
Ouch!
Please try the following:
Take a box and make it editable.
Select the polys where the holes should appear.
Make an inner extrude and scale the inner polygons.
Call Catmull Clark two times per right mouse button.
Hit backspace to delete these new polygons. Holes appear.
Select all polygons and call for the shell tool: click and drag - and voilá.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SimpleHoles.jpg
    SimpleHoles.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 520
Back