Cheetah3D 7.5 Beta 1

Why the UV maps are always backwards and upside down?
No matter which way the UV's are un wrapped.
I am constantly using UV Stepper to correct this. Can this be fixed!

The unwrapping tool flattens a 3D surface to a 2D surface while trying to minimise texture distortion. It therefore doesn't really care if a UV map gets rotated or offset since that has zero influence on the quality of the solution. The "upside down" term is also something that might make sense for the sides of a cube but already becomes difficult if you consider the top or bottom side of the cube.

The best method to solve this problem is actually to introduce projective painting which allows you to freely paint on the 3D model in the 3D view. Then it doesn't matter anymore if the UV coords are flipped, rotated offset. As long as the UV coords don't overlap everything is fine. And that projective painting is actually very high on my todo list.

Yes - no difference - no luck. No idea what else I could try. Do you can provide a screenshot showing strokes with "0" and "1" hardness?

Cheers
Frank

Yes - no difference - no luck. No idea what else I could try. Do you can provide a screenshot showing strokes with "0" and "1" hardness?

On a 2kx2k texture with a brush width of 50 it should be like this.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-04 um 14.50.55.png

I can´t see any difference: 2 strokes with mouse and hardness set to 1 and zero:
hardness.jpg

Cheers
Frank

PS: as we talked: Wacom pen can click&drag arrows for adjustment as the XP-Pen don´t. Not 100% sure I´m overlooking a setting somewhere as it is brandnew and comes with an extra set-up.app.

I can´t see any difference: 2 strokes with mouse and hardness set to 1 and zero:

That's very strange. I have to try it on my old iMac. I'm also surprised why the preview circle of the brush is that big compared to the stroke width.

PS: as we talked: Wacom pen can click&drag arrows for adjustment as the XP-Pen don´t. Not 100% sure I´m overlooking a setting somewhere as it is brandnew and comes with an extra set-up.app.

Yes, it also works nicely with my Wacom.

I've just tested the Beta on an 2009 iMac with macOS Sierra and it worked as expected. Very strange, I have the feeling it has something todo with the XP-Pen.

Does anybody else have problems with the brush hardness.

Does anybody else have problems with the brush hardness.

Brush hardness works as expected for me... except a setting of '0' is not quite as soft as it is in photoshop.
Spacing parameter impacts how hard the strokes look.
I use a Wacom tablet about 10 years old.

Also the paint-line tool, paint-rectangle tool and paint-oval tool don't work when used in 3d viewport. Maybe thats still to be done?
--shift studio.

edit: and paint-eyedropper and fill too.

Last edited:
Uninstalled XP-Pen stuff - still no "hardness" available. I´d say I don´t mind when it´s just me and my old Mac. ;)
Can´t say I ever used that feature in other paint software.
BTW: drawing with a big brush (140) and via mouse is laggy while smoothly with the Wacom pen.

Cheers
Frank

Wow. I can confirm that the Texture "Edit" mode is now much faster.

I often use "edit simply to see the texture in the UV editor (so I can move UVs around and see where there's still space in an atlas).

in 7.4.2, as soon as I enable it for a 4k texture, I get 5-10 fps in the viewport.

in 7.5 it's 60 :)

Just tested both versions on 2018 MacBook Pro 2.2 6-core, Radeon 555X.

I've got a bug to report in C3D 7.5b1 (not sure if it existed before)
It's hard to describe the circumstances in general terms, so instead here is a procedure to produce the bug:

On a disc, 'Pin' some UV Coords and deselect them.
Then subdivide the mesh,
then select some pinned UV coords without using 'Select All Pinned UV Coords',
then choose 'Toggle Pinned UV'.
The newly pinned coords that were created by the subdivision are not unpinned by the command.

Hopefully it can be sorted out.

--shift studio.

Last edited:
I bring the UV map pdf into Affinity Photo then paint my map or I make a texture Atlas:
https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.co...las-in-order-to-optimize-your-game--cms-26783
View attachment 35542
Hey Unc, I haven’t even had a chance to look at this. I had jury duty and got picked for a trial. :oops: We’re now going into our second week! It’s a civil case, but big $ on the line. Maybe someone else can have a look as I’m not sure when this case will be through. (Hopefully soon)

I've got a bug to report in C3D 7.5b1 (not sure if it existed before)
It's hard to describe the circumstances in general terms, so instead here is a procedure to produce the bug:

On a disc, 'Pin' some UV Coords and deselect them.
Then subdivide the mesh,
then select some pinned UV coords without using 'Select All Pinned UV Coords',
then choose 'Toggle Pinned UV'.
The newly pinned coords that were created by the subdivision are not unpinned by the command.

I've just fixed that problem. In v7.5b2 the subdivision algorithm will no longer create those buggy pinned UV coords.

Thanks for reporting.

I just found a setting that crashes Cheetah 3D.
If the Mass setting in the Rope Tag is set to zero
Cheetah crashes when the animation is turned on.

I've just fixed that problem. In v7.5b2 the subdivision algorithm will no longer create those buggy pinned UV coords.
That sounds great ... for me I would like the new points created by subdivision to not be pinned at all - is that what you're saying - not pin new points OR not have new points be 'buggy'
Thanks, Shift Studio.

I just found a setting that crashes Cheetah 3D.
If the Mass setting in the Rope Tag is set to zero
Cheetah crashes when the animation is turned on.

I couldn't recreate that crash with the "Rope.jas" example scene. When I set the mass to 0 the simulation just gets unstable but it doesn't crash.

I've changed the UI so it's no longer possible to set a mass of 0.

Back