Rendering SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOWWWWWWWW

Rendering SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOWWWWWWWW

Ok Im doing a chess board and all the pieces are clear, I've got the caustic tag on and 64x oversampleing 1 and 2, I try lower oversampling passes and the image looked grainy, anyway I hit render and it run for 18 hours and wasn't a quarter done, I'm useing a black macbook with 2gb of ram, how do I speed this up?

Cymbal monkey,

you're probably using every feature available... glass material, hdri, radiosity, large number of photons emitted from your lightsource(s) and everything, right?
if so... since every photon's reflection and refraction needs to be calculated - you'd have to be patient.

-t0m

try just turning off the transparency and caustics and do a render - you'll see how quick it will be ;)
use the search fiunction in the forum to search for glass material and refraction and such, you'll find some useful hints there.

Ok Im doing a chess board and all the pieces are clear, I've got the caustic tag on and 64x oversampleing 1 and 2, I try lower oversampling passes and the image looked grainy, anyway I hit render and it run for 18 hours and wasn't a quarter done, I'm useing a black macbook with 2gb of ram, how do I speed this up?

Hi,
I would be surprised if you really need 64x in the first pass. Until now I've never used that setting.

Please post a image of your scene and I can say more where you might be able to decrease settings without losing quality.

Bye,
Martin

Hope this helps

Hi,
I have never used 64x on the first pass (or second:wink:). I normally stick with four, and than when I do the final render I use 8x or 16x max. I have 1gb ram and have never had it take that long. I would restart your mac, I have found that this really refreshes it and makes it render a lot faster. I agree with Martin, if you post a screenshot we might be able to see what you problem is. You only need the first oversampling pass to smooth the edges. Set the second to 1x or 4x.

Greg

P.S. Are you doing other things while your rendering? Make sure your only rendering one image at a time.

Last edited:
Heres the set up:
chess.png

Ähm why are you rendering the image 2 times? If you insist on using an oversampling of 64 in first pass the second pass is useless und just renders the same data again...

Hi,
You should post the file and let take a closer look. What are your settings on the caustics? You should really set the oversampling pass to 8x

Greg

Hi,
That is very strange. Maybe it's a bug? What is smooth, do you have really high standerds or somthing?! How did you get that cool sceme on your computer:rolleyes:?

Greg

Ok back to topic:wink:. Maybe you should zip the file and post it. You did a great job modeling the chess pieces:icon_thumbup:. How did you do the knight?

Thanks,
Greg

Back