Freeze Transformations

I know Cheetah has Burn Transformations *which doesn't work on bones) and Orient Joint (which doesn't affect the rotation. I've used the Reset Axis script, which kind of works, but how can you keep the current positions of the bones but simply zero out all the rotations? Not matter what I do, the bones jump out of position when they are zeroed out.

Thanks!
Bob

In essence, I think what you want to do is record the rotation of the bone, zero it, then rotate the bone's position by the original rotation. This should be doable via script — the steps in the UI are:

1. Select the children of the bone you want to zero.
2. Group them.
3. Record the rotation of the bone.
4. Zero that bone's rotation.
5. Set the folder's rotation to the recorded rotation
6. Ungroup the (former) children.

Well, in this case, I imported in a model with bones an the bones are all in odd rotations and I would like them all with the same x, y, and z rotation direction, so basically, just rotate the axes, I suppose, but the entire bone rotates when I try to reset.

I'm probably going to wind up redoing all the bones if I decide to use the model, most likely. They are a lot more out of whack than I thought they'd be.

If the bones are actually rigged to a mesh then the zeroing operation I describe will utterly mangle the mesh. In that event you'd need to go and hack the underlying mesh bindings directly (I imagine that's scriptable but I've never done anything like it).

For what it's worth, you can clear bone rotations in Blender.

Yeah, Maya and others have a Freeze Transformations, which, to my understanding, basically sets all the bones to zero rotation regardless of their position which make it easier for rigging calculations.

Bob

Back