Hello, thinking about purchace

Is there anything like a network renderer that works like a torrent or something? Everyone offers a bit of CPU time to a pool, anyone can access pool or perhaps get a slice of pool to offline render huge project with a bit of everyone's CPU might.

Yes Tiny, one developper. I don't think that would be possible on windows, though :smile:

And about network renderers: That would be an issue for a professional who could have to render a short 4k animation or so.

And no, no torrent-like renderer (bad idea anyway), but professional renderfarms. You pay a few bucks and what would cost you a day to render will be done in a few minutes (but usually you have to wait till your order gets processed). Well, maybe that's a little bit exaggerated, but you get the picture (in several meanings of the word).

Like I said, stuff like this is meant for professionals with deadlines and so. You will not need it in the foreseeable future. Maybe never, as Falcon is quiet very fast.

Well I bought it, did the Hello World animation.

Took 12.8 minutes to render with Falcon at 1440x1080p at 30 frames per second.

This seems long? Although I put a MONSTER 8k texture on it, is that why it took awhile? I'll post a link in a second.

https://vimeo.com/265121488

Last edited:

That's something Bryce had, the option to
make the perspective view the active Camera.

I would welcome that.

The Focus Tool and the Pose Tag will have to do for now.

I’m not recommending it over Cheetah 3D but Hash is written by one guy, runs on Windows and Mac (and maybe other platforms) and is insanely capable. People have made movies with it. Has endorsements from Pixar artists (and got Victor Navone, the guy who made this, a job as Pixar)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=jfvzbnHXiAI

Sadly, I don’t think there’s really much competition, thanks to Blender. Basically, if you want to sell a 3D package you need to beat blender on usability or Strata 3D on price ($600). That leaves virtually no space for anyone because usability is really hard, and in 3D it’s particularly hard. I just tried to find anything like C3D on any platform for a similar price. There’s really nothing. (And also Strata will periodically release a $99 product that can annihilate anyone in the lower price range.)

Last edited:
I think Cheetah3D is absolutely brilliant, and a great choice to everyone who has a Mac and is starting 3D modeling / animating / rendering. It is relatively easy to learn, inexpensive, and fast! It is usable also on an older Mac that cannot run Maya properly.

Of course it's hard to compete Blender because it's free. But Blenders' UI is - I would say it is familiar to no-one. It resembles no other software. Heck - I still can't use Blender for anything beyond simple format conversions. And I'm a coder for God's sake! I can use everything, right? :)

Ok, Cheetah is probably not the best 3D tool for every need there is, but it still is very very good.

To be fair, I should mention two things about Falcon that have changed since tiny's questions.

Meanwhile it got the caustics back – and with a bang. Very, very well done, beautiful effect.

And the new pbr-shader is a little game-changer, too. Cheetah still does not have many in-built materials, but there are thousands of pbrs available, hundreds for free.

Other stuff, like sss, will hopefully come soon. Still, Cheetah will never be on par with something like 3ds max, but quiet good etc.

Back