Noob - una-bridged

Noob - una-bridged

I pretty much came directly to the forum for this, so I apologize if inappropriate. I'm following Dave's old combining objects tutorial and I'm confused.

Here are details.

1. New C3D 7.2.1 window
2. Objects>Polygon>Box
3. Select box in Obj. browser>⌘C>⌘V to duplicate
4. Obj. browser>double-click Box, double-click Box.1 to make editable
5. Viewport>drag Box.1 away from Box a short distance
6. Obj. browser>drag Box.1 into Box to make it child
7. Tools>Merge - Now only Box appears in Obj. browser, it remains selected.
8. Change to Point tool
9. Tools>Polygon>Bridge
10. Viewport>click corner point facing right box on left box, it turns blue as expected
11. Viewport>click mirroring corner point on right box, get alert sound.

Why do I get an alert instead of successfully making a bridge? I've tried using Objects>Make Editable again after the merge as well. Thanks.

Merging, is different in C3D v7+, and 'Import Child' no longer exists

After step 3, step 4 is optional, then step 5
Select both boxes in in object browser and call Tools/Merge
Then do as Zoohead recommends, then move on to step 9.

Should work. If not, let us know.

--shift studio.

Just a quick hint from the Help files:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 278

The problem is Novolume deletes the polygons early on and it got missed this time.

Frank's lesson - we should always check the help files.

A second part of the problem is that a parent importing its child in v6 cannot simply be replaced with the merge command in v7. V7s merge procedure is simpler and can have a hot key assigned.
— shift studio.

Thanks ZooHead, Shift Studio, and Frank. Yes, removing a face at starting point and/or destination was the key. There's a difference in result based on what has been removed. I didn't pick up on that from the tutorial video or the help document, but I think other parts of the documentation imply it. Thanks again.

A second part of the problem is that a parent importing its child in v6 cannot simply be replaced with the merge command in v7. V7s merge procedure is simpler and can have a hot key assigned.
— shift studio.
Another quick hint: Merge don´t need stacked objects, keeps assigned material alive and works with parametric objects.

Cheers
Frank

Back