Cartoons

Drac 2

Getting closer to what I want - I think. Sort of in two minds about this one.

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Drac-3.jpg
    Drac-3.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 03.27.38.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 03.27.38.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 396
Hair

This is the best way I have found to do the hair. After many mistakes I think this works best. Here's how if anybody is interested. :smile:

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 13.50.57.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 13.50.57.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Hair.jpg
    Hair.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 373
Nice tip on the hair Terry. Thanks for posting the steps!

Is the hair material usually procedural, or do you create textures to use?

You're welcome Swizl, I hope it comes in useful. The mat is just normal but I crank the spec.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 14.42.49.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 14.42.49.png
    29 KB · Views: 371
Ah ok, that makes sense. It looks really good on your last post with the brown hair. I thought it may have been a gradient.

I don't see the gradient working, I pull one of the colours out and it's exactly the same. I must be missing something?

No, sorry that was just my initial guess on how you did the material.

You're welcome Bob.

Swizl, I'm just saying I don't see what difference the grade makes? It would be great if it worked because I'd have more control over the colour. But I've tried and it doesn't, the colour doesn't change.

You're welcome Bob.

Swizl, I'm just saying I don't see what difference the grade makes? It would be great if it worked because I'd have more control over the colour. But I've tried and it doesn't, the colour doesn't change.

I'll admit that I hadn't played around with using the gradient node much. After you mentioned it and I tried it, I had the same issue. The gradient didn't seem to be showing in the render. I'm wondering if this is a bug maybe? I agree though, having better control of a gradient would give more options.

Edit:
But I still think the hair you have now looks pretty good. : )

Last edited:
I'll admit that I hadn't played around with using the gradient node much. After you mentioned it and I tried it, I had the same issue. The gradient didn't seem to be showing in the render. I'm wondering if this is a bug maybe? I agree though, having better control of a gradient would give more options.

Edit:
But I still think the hair you have now looks pretty good. : )

Thanks Swizl. I'm glad it's not just me, it doesn't work does it.

Thanks Swizl. I'm glad it's not just me, it doesn't work does it.

I guess I may be using it wrong, since I've tried it in v6 and it does the same thing. Just one solid color on the object. Since their's no in depth guide on the materials in the help manual, I have no idea how it's "suppose" to be used. My guess is that since it's a filter node, it has to interact with something else in the node editor. It would be nice if it were added to the texture section too. Although maybe someone could explain how to use it better? I know I've seen some posts on using it, but I can't find them at the moment.

I guess I may be using it wrong, since I've tried it in v6 and it does the same thing. Just one solid color on the object. Since their's no in depth guide on the materials in the help manual, I have no idea how it's "suppose" to be used. My guess is that since it's a filter node, it has to interact with something else in the node editor. It would be nice if it were added to the texture section too. Although maybe someone could explain how to use it better? I know I've seen some posts on using it, but I can't find them at the moment.

I think I may have used it years ago, I thought it did something, can't quite remember??? Yes maybe someone can answer the question. :smile:

Dino

Thanks Zoo. Hm, so the grade is used for flat surfaces only? Goes nuts on the model. :redface:

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Dino.jpg
    Dino.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 378
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.41.11.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.41.11.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.38.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.38.48.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 388
Zoo beat me to it :smile:

image.jpg
screenshot.png

But Zoo also has discovered a bug in the UV output of the state node, should look like this (v6.3.3):
screenshot2.png

@Terry:
Zoo's setup will work only with proper UV mapping, or you have to use the position output instead like in my example above.

Zoo beat me to it :smile:

View attachment 32478
View attachment 32476

But Zoo also has discovered a bug in the UV output of the state node, should look like this (v6.3.3):
View attachment 32477

@Terry:
Zoo's setup will work only with proper UV mapping, or you have to use the position output instead like in my example above.

It's better not to have to use the UV mapper, but it seems like I can
only effect half of the object with a gradient from the Position output.

Bug note: In my setup, when I switch the Vec2Float to
X or Z it doesn't behave the same way as Y, no idea why.

It's better not to have to use the UV mapper, but it seems like I can
only effect half of the object with a gradient from the Position output.

Bug note: In my setup, when I switch the Vec2Float to
X or Z it doesn't behave the same way as Y, no idea why.

Thanks Zoo. I took a quick look and it didn't work for me. It chops up in lines, no grade. No big deal though.

Back