Polygon selection

Polygon selection

You have to designate a Polygon selection number first, then select the polygons. I wish the process was backwards, where I select the polygons before saving the selection.

When I change the selection number, it reverts to zero polygons selected.

In the example shown, I had to do the second one from scratch. I would like to start with the selected polygons from #1, Select Inverse, then make that Polygon selection #2. Is there a simple way to do that?

Attachments

• save_selection.jpg
    save_selection.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 370
I had to wait six minutes. Why so long?

My purpose is to manipulate the polygons with shell, extrude, etc. Just one material. I think that's a different situation. I have tried splitting and merging, copying and pasting, mistaking and erring.

I had to wait six minutes. Why so long?

My purpose is to manipulate the polygons with shell, extrude, etc. Just one material. I think that's a different situation. I have tried splitting and merging, copying and pasting, mistaking and erring.
Because I´m in the kitchen for dinner!

You can skip the material later on - but how would you know what´s already covered by a shade-selection N° on what is not otherwise?

Cheers
Frank

Flummoxed and Disconsolate

" ...how would you know what´s already covered by a shade-selection N° on what is not otherwise?"

My question pertains to the Polygon object "Polygon selection," not the Material "Shade selection." Unless I am missing a connection, what I don't get is strictly a function of the structural geometry, unrelated to any material.

This isn't an immediate problem requiring an urgent fix, just something that keeps recurring when in the modeling process. Usually the ability to save one or more polygon selections is simple — set the Polygon selection number, select some polygons, repeat as necessary for different groups of polygons.

But when modeling, it's often the case that I select a group of polygons to which I will apply a Polygon Tool, like Cover, Normal Scale, or Inner Extrude, and then I want to select a related group of polygons, by invoking the Expand, Reduce, or (in the given example), Invert Selection commands.

The Expand, Reduce, and Invert Selection commands are basic, intuitive, and frequently used. But I can't seem to incorporate them when saving a Polygon selection within the Polygon object Properties window. So far as I know, it's not possible, but maybe there is a special Option-key trick or simple work-around.

If not, then the question shifts to the Wish List thread.

There´s no explicit tool for freezing polygon selection - you should know. The material-assignment trick is just a workaround to see&get what´s you once selected. (It´d be more convenient than the explicit tool, where you might be forced to zap through your selections to find the right one.)
Another trick I use quite often is to disconnect a polygon selection; easy to access (group select) and to integrate back into the mesh (optimize).

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank for the help. I used a variation on your suggestion (Disconnect + Optimize):

Polygon selection #1 — Invert selection — Split — Shell — back to original object/Polygon selection #1 — Shell — Merge — Optimize.

I wanted all the vertical edges from every vertex of the original plane, plus the ability to recall the Polygon selection for additional steps later in the process. (The actual model starts with a voronoi pattern, which is why the technique got complicated.)

Attachments

• vert_edges.png
    vert_edges.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 280
(The actual model starts with a voronoi pattern, which is why the technique got complicated.)
I think it´s not when you temporarily use material assignments and the automatic numbering given by the program; Make your polygon selection and drag a material on it. To check the polygon selection number click on the material tags in the object browser in object mode. To return to that polygon selection later go in polygon mode select object and go "Polygon selection: N° X".
(It reminds to a request in the wishlist forum where some want selections by material.)

Cheers
Frank

Back