Obtaining full scale patterns from a model

Obtaining full scale patterns from a model

I realize that Cheetah is not a architectural modeller but I am wondering if there is a way to obtain full scale patterns from a model. Has anyone tried to print or plot large images in Cheetah? Or will I need to export the file to another program to order to be able to print or plot the sections? Are there any suggestion of what would be the best way to proceed? I have attached an image which shows the 2 tall vertical sections I am interested printing at full scale. These prints would then be used to fabricate the ribs.

Thank you for any help.
Bruce

Attachments

• Section.png
    Section.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 360
Hi,
before you can print a model you have to render it. To do set click on the render icon (the cow) in the toolbar.
In the camera object you can set the size of the rendered image. You can render images up to 4096x4096.
After rendering you can save the image to .jpg, .tiff, .png etc. and print it with Preview.app later for example.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
before you can print a model you have to render it. To do set click on the render icon (the cow) in the toolbar.
In the camera object you can set the size of the rendered image. You can render images up to 4096x4096.
After rendering you can save the image to .jpg, .tiff, .png etc. and print it with Preview.app later for example.

Bye,
Martin

Martin, I think he wants a technical drawing or in german a "Rißzeichnung" of his model.

Martin, I think he wants a technical drawing or in german a "Rißzeichnung" of his model.

Hi Martin and Dranix,
Thank you for your responses. Dranix is correct in the type of drawing I would ideally like to obtain from the model. However, an accurate full scale representation might also work using a rendered image. Is there any way to set the camera to an orthographic projection so the rendering will not have any prespective to it? I did not see a way to obtain this type of rendering.

Thank you.
Bruce

Hi.
Isn´t this called a "vectorrendering"?

For the "othographic" thingy. Place your camera and scroll back (zoom out). Now change in the camera properties the field of view: zoom in. Now you´ll have less distortion.

Regards
Frank

Hi.
Isn´t this called a "vectorrendering"?

For the "othographic" thingy. Place your camera and scroll back (zoom out). Now change in the camera properties the field of view: zoom in. Now you´ll have less distortion.

Regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
Thank you so much for the tip. I tried zooming way out until the correct field of view in camera was around 1˚. That certainly limited the perspective effect in the rendering.

Thank you.
Bruce

Hi Frank,
Thank you so much for the tip. I tried zooming way out until the correct field of view in camera was around 1?. That certainly limited the perspective effect in the rendering.

Thank you.
Bruce

Dear Bruce

Should you be using a CAD program like vectorworks, sketchup etc and outputing from that ?

As Cheetah is a rendering program and is just that, it renders the final view...

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 301
Dear Bruce

Should you be using a CAD program like vectorworks, sketchup etc and outputing from that ?

As Cheetah is a rendering program and is just that, it renders the final view...

Regards

Luke

Hi Luke,
Yes, a CAD program would probably provide a much easier route to output. However, Cheetah's modelling environment is quick and intuitive for me. I am seeing if it's possible to get what I need from Cheetah's modeller without it becoming too much of fitting a square peg in a round hole. I have a friend who uses VectorWorks so I will see how it works.

Thank you for your response.
Bruce

Hi Bruce, You can use Vectorworks in combination with DXF. Works fine here. I also import models from Cheetah to Vectorworks. Make sure the scale parameters are correct. I sometimes use a reference object in VW to scale the Cheetah DXF to the correct size.

Regards,

Peter

Back