Cheetah stops responding Boolean

Cheetah stops responding Boolean

Cheetah stops responding v b19 using boolean modifier or creator?
here's the file.

Attachments

• Boolean.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 267
Please check the polycount of your cylinders; it seemed to have 5 times more geometry than it needs - but I think the Boolean tool isn´t supposed to work with single polygons anyway - it needs volumes. So subtracting volumes from planes will give you an unexpected result though.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Uncle

Same as Frank:
* When playing with your sample C3D falls into an infinite (?, I did a force quit after 5 minutes) beachball loop. This happens with both Booleans, modifier and creator.
* Copying / pasting the 2 objects into a blank .jas does not change anything; there is still an infinite loop.

* The object information implies there is something wrong with the topology as the cylinders show 144 polys. Selecting an individual face proves that there are 3 to 4 coplanar polys in some locations. Deleting redundant faces + optimisation gets you back to the normal Boolean function.

Hi uncle,
how did you create the cylinder object? As Frank already mentioned something is very wrong with it. I can only see 36 polygons but there are 144!!! It looks like there are various layers of the same geometry.

The booleans require clean, solid (watertight), manifold geometry. Without that things can get very tricky.

Bye
Martin

I was playing with the mirror tool to make a copy of the cylinder when I guess I did something terribly wrong. What is the proper procedure to select and delete the extra polys? Is there one.
I have to write this twice because if I open Cheetah while typing this to check something in Cheetah Safari closes and I have to start all over. Safari V 10.0.2 I'd use something else but I need the syncing across devices.

I was playing with the mirror tool to make a copy of the cylinder when I guess I did something terribly wrong. What is the proper procedure to select and delete the extra polys? Is there one.
I have to write this twice because if I open Cheetah while typing this to check something in Cheetah Safari closes and I have to start all over. Safari V 10.0.2 I'd use something else but I need the syncing across devices.
Unfortunately there´s no way to get rid of these superfluous polygons because they are all connected via vertices (if not you could have just group select a hull) - allthough selecting in polygon mode will show them by a bloody red color.

I use the same Safari version but on Yosemite and it never shut down unasked. That is strange.

Cheers
Frank

I use the same Safari version but on Yosemite and it never shut down unasked. That is strange.
In El Capitan I have all kinds of problems with Safari quitting.By the way Frank just curious but why do you stay with Yosemite? Not that there is anything wrong with that I do not intend to move from El Capitan.

In El Capitan I have all kinds of problems with Safari quitting.By the way Frank just curious but why do you stay with Yosemite? Not that there is anything wrong with that I do not intend to move from El Capitan.
Well - I do have plans to upgrade to the latest OS - but as I prefer clean installs it means to back-up wisely and just restore what´s needed and this is just an undertaking I need time for - and I haven´t checked if my whimsical portfolio of apps will run on Sierra already.
(BTW - not sure if you still use Inkscape while having AD - but you´ll notice that there won´t be any downloads for the newest release 0.92. Two devs decided to abandon MacOS until one guy announces to provide it via MacPorts. I´m not amused as AD lacks so many features I can´t live without)

Cheers
Frank

Back to Booleans> Thanks Frank for you reply about the OS.
How do I get this boolean to bee all quads I am trying to subtract the cylinder from the box, the cylinder is 32 sides I tried the box with none, 8,16 and 32 but still no all quads.

Attachments

• Boolean.jpg
    Boolean.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 306
I´d use none Boolean at all: just a 8x8x1 box - delete front and back "checkerboard" and merge with an 32x1 open cylinder smaller than the box and bridge the open edges after a "merge"-operation:
QuadHole.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I tried to follow you instructions but just got a mess after using the Bridge tool. Would you be kind enough Frank to maybe give more point by point instruction - I'd love to master this technique as it looks like a very useful way to avoid booleans.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.45.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.45.57 PM.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.46.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.46.34 PM.png
    94 KB · Views: 306
This will of course in combination with Booleans: three 32x1 cylinders booled together - merged&bridged with one 8x8x8 box:
BooleanNonBoolean.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
What would you suggest in a case like this for all quads, the bridge example works nicely. Thanks

Attachments

• How bout this.jpeg
    How bout this.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 290
This made with make circle script then subdivided.

Attachments

• 180-Resized@1x.png
    180-Resized@1x.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 181-Resized@1x.png
    181-Resized@1x.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 294
You can apply the same solution from above by extending the edges via cover&drag and a symmetry-creator for the other half:
Bevel-tool will work on the edges for sure.
HoleWithoutBoole.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
You can apply the same solution from above by extending the edges via cover&drag and a symmetry-creator for the other half:
Bevel-tool will work on the edges for sure.

Cheers
Frank

Not grasping this. Is it using boolean? Cover edges after what? Not understanding when or what to bevel. Symmetry creator before or after shell??

Attachments

• 182-Resized@1x.png
    182-Resized@1x.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Back