Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

I believe Martin skipped this function, because it´s available via gadget-mode. I miss it too. ;)

Yes, the functionality is now available via the gadget mode in the transform tool but I'm not too sure anymore if removing that tool was a wise decision. Especially since the gadget mode requires considerably more mouse clicks.

Should it return?

Bye
Martin

Version 7 beta:
How can I set up two render settings with different resolutions. one at 960 X 540 and another at 2256 X1249 and be able to switch between them.

Internally v7 already supports an arbitrary number of render settings. Just the UI is missing currently. I will probably add that in a later Update.

Bye
Martin

Attachments

• YesPlease.jpg
    YesPlease.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 795
How are the render times with motion blur? That can sometimes be a hit.

I had a very simple scene with 80 frames render
- about 1.1 second per frame in 6.x. (91 seconds)
- about 20 seconds per frame in 7.x with motion blur (1607 seconds)

I don't know if these are really apples to apples but for what its worth it was the same scene, same resolution, different renderer and with blur enabled.

Cheers.

I had a very simple scene with 80 frames render
- about 1.1 second per frame in 6.x. (91 seconds)
- about 20 seconds per frame in 7.x with motion blur (1607 seconds)

I don't know if these are really apples to apples but for what its worth it was the same scene, same resolution, different renderer and with blur enabled.

Cheers.

I set up a very simple scene with Falcon motion blur (camera and transform) on and off. Motion blur adds about 10-15% to the render time.

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. Will have to do some testing.

I should specify then, both my test renders were in v7 beta, Falcon renderer, motion blur off and on. Apples all the way down.

physically correct rendering ?

Hi folks,

I'm very interested in physical rendering on OS X and have started experimenting with this new Falcon renderer as provided with the beta demo (so I cannot provide files yet, sorry).

Under Help > Cheetah3d samples > Caustics > Caustic 1.jas there is a file with a metal ring showing caustic patterns in a Cheetah render.
When switching to Falcon though there are no caustics whatsoever, no matter the photon count of the light or the render caustic setting.
I found that when switching the light to spherical area type with MSI checked caustics reappear, only grainy and substantially slower as in the cheetah default render.

Then I continued experimenting with a glass prism (as in a famous Pink Floyd album cover) and a beam from a shaded area light:

setting.jpg

image1.jpg

Now the beam goes straight through the prism with no bending or spectral colors shown.
When the light is replaced by a plane with a highly emissive material, bending occurs but still no colors. This needs insanely high emissive and aperture values and renders very slowly.

image2.jpg

Now I would like to ask if these are bugs or if this Falcon renderer is still in an early stage of development with improvements regarding physical accuracy planned later on?

Apart from the light issue it looks very promising and reminds me of Luxrender.
In Luxmark I can see that the graphic cards on my MacBook render faster than the CPU, so I would like to know if there is any OpenCL GPU acceleration planned for Falcon too?

Thanks for providing this very promising demo app!

Last edited:
Anybody have any idea why the new quick view toggle icons aren't showing up in my object browser for the v7 beta? Also I don't know if the materials are suppose to show up there like they use to, but they aren't. The only way to access them is through the properties palette.

Incidentally, I opened an older v6 file that had a pose tag on the camera. The pose tag disappeared in the v7 beta. Is that meant to happen?

Thanks everyone. Martin wanted us to post issues here first before going to him directly.

Attachments

• Quick & Material Icon.png
    Quick & Material Icon.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 731
Hi Swizl
Any chance the primary binary toggles in the "cogwheel" pop-down are disabled?
Servus from Vienna

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 17.49.19.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 17.49.19.png
    46 KB · Views: 734
Thanks Helmut & misoversaturated,

I've examined that and all options are checked.

edit: I've deleted all the preference files to start fresh and the problem still persists. I'm on a 5k 27" Late 2015 i5 iMac with 10.11.4.

Last edited:
When opening a new / blank project .jas, that is what I get.
What does it look like in your case?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 17.56.34.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 17.56.34.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 738
When opening a new / blank project .jas, that is what I get.
What does it look like in your case?

Here's a new file with no modification. This is after dumping the plist's.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 11.59.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 11.59.58 AM.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 740
Back